You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 5th, 2018, 02:58 AM   #1
hein123
South Africa

Laptop Bag For PLC Programmers

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask.

What laptop bags do you guys use?
I currently use a roller type bag - swissgear. Itís nice to use but the wheels are taking a hammering and I believe it wonít last that long.

Want to switch to backpack but would like a good quality with lots of space for cables etc and should last a couple of years.

Any suggestions?

Was looking at the SwissGear Travel Gear 1900
Old February 5th, 2018, 03:27 AM   #2
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

Can't go far wrong with your Swissgear suggestion. A colleague has one and its very nice.

I have a Targus one, which is about 3 years old and coming up to retirement.
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:55 AM   #3
cardosocea
United Kingdom

I like Eastpak and used one for a while, and although it has plenty of space, it doesn't have partitions.

One thing I found was that I would rather have a small backpack for the laptop and a couple of cables and carry all the rest in a separate bag. But I usually would fly an awful lot and carrying all of that on my back and through customs proved a challenge. Since I didn't carry any obsolete cables, I could live with losing them and it became the norm.

Also, the sites I worked at were dirty, so I wouldn't want to carry the backpack through the airport when someone dropped paint over it or was full of dust.
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:57 AM   #4
hein123
South Africa

Anybody got experience with Thule backpacks as this type would be more accessible to me
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:03 AM   #5
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by janner_10 View Post
Can't go far wrong with your Swissgear suggestion
+1

Thats all I use, they are made by far the best! we have been looking into becoming a distributor for them

See this link then click on the size of your laptop, I have the 1900

https://www.swissgear.com/backpacks/...ndly-backpacks
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:09 AM   #6
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein123 View Post

Want to switch to backpack but would like a good quality with lots of space for cables etc and should last a couple of years.
Not sure what PLC's you are working with but this is the reason we starting making what I call a System Integrator set, we were trying to come up with a small size carry cables

This one is for AB PLC's https://www.plccable.com/usb-allen-b...ing-cable-kit/

And our Profibus/MPI cable is a lot smaller and lighter then the Siemens one https://www.plccable.com/siemens-6gk...ppi-32-64-bit/
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:30 AM   #7
jstolaruk
United States

I've had good luck with High Sierra bags from ebags.com
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:37 AM   #8
jkerekes
United States

Everki
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:38 AM   #9
JRW
United States

Everki
All the way
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:54 AM   #10
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
And our Profibus/MPI cable is a lot smaller and lighter then the Siemens one https://www.plccable.com/siemens-6gk...ppi-32-64-bit/
When it comes to the MPI cables, it's the cable itself that becomes unwieldy and not the adapter, I found.

This being said, the adapter number you posted is, in my humble opinion, only good for setting stuff up in the office but not good at all for field application as I couldn't get it to work when connecting to a Profibus remote node. It works in the PLC only.

The even bigger ones, that have a din rail support work everywhere and are a blessing for maintenance or field engineers as you can plug anywhere on the network. I never bothered to look too deep into why there is a difference, but there is and can be a life saver in some cases.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:59 AM   #11
Highland Controls
United States

I have had my Swissgear roller for at least 4 years, and it has been pretty well abused but still works good. I tried a backpack, but it really didn't offer enough protection for the laptop. I use the backpack for extension cord, cables, etc.
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:22 AM   #12
mk42
United States

I'm a big fan of my backpack from ebags. It has a ton of zipper pouches to keep various kinds of dongles separate. It works for me because I don't fly much.
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/...uctid=10230513

There's also a bigger version that has a zip open TSA compliant laptop pouch and a bigger storage area (intended as an overnight bag for clothes but could easily be that cable stash).
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/...uctid=10586001
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:54 AM   #13
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardosocea View Post

This being said, the adapter number you posted is, in my humble opinion, only good for setting stuff up in the office but not good at all for field application as I couldn't get it to work when connecting to a Profibus remote node. It works in the PLC only.
Our version of the Siemens cable?
Old February 5th, 2018, 09:19 AM   #14
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
Our version of the Siemens cable?
No, the Siemens one that you listed (6GK1571-0BA00-0AA0).
I never used yours so have no clue how it actually works and whether it has the same "issue" as the official Siemens one.
Old February 5th, 2018, 10:07 AM   #15
diat150
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I use a pelican u100. Watertight and crush proof.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum