You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 9th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #1
IdealDan
Malaysia

No communication with an SLC5/04 on download

I tried and failed to communicate with an SLC5/04 using a USB to RS232 serial cable but I could not find the Driver CD that should come with the cable, COULD THIS DRIVER ABSENCE BE MY PROBLEM?​
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Dravik
United States

Well, Yes.

But if the cable is detected enough to show the serial port in device manager, probably not.
Can you screenshot the error message? Can you 'see' the SLC in RsLinx?
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:38 PM   #3
IdealDan
Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravik View Post
Well, Yes.

But if the cable is detected enough to show the serial port in device manager, probably not.
Can you screenshot the error message? Can you 'see' the SLC in RsLinx?
No, I can't see SLC in RSLinx,
Serial port in device Manager shows
sorry I didn't screen shot but "Auto configure" fails during DFI serial driver tab configuration in RSLinx.
What do you think please?
Old February 9th, 2018, 04:12 PM   #4
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Autoconfigure doesn't always work with USB to serial converters. Did you say you successfully downloaded a project to the PLC and then lost communication?

Normally, when you download a new program to a SLC and there are differences in any of the channel configurations, you will be warned and given a choice whether or not to apply those changes. Did you see this warning? If so, did you apply the changes? If the answer is yes to both of those questions, you should be able to look at the file you just downloaded to obtain the information required to properly configure your RSLinx driver.
Old February 9th, 2018, 04:21 PM   #5
GaryS
United States

That's a common problem on the SLC5/04 it looks like somebody changed the channel 0 port to something other then the default factory settings. When that happens the only way to connect it either through the Data Highway port if you have the hardware or to reset the processor back to the factory default but when you do that you also lose all programs and data in the processor. If you have a copy of the original program stored away someplace your are good if not you may not be able to get in.
Good Luck
Old February 9th, 2018, 06:02 PM   #6
jaden
United States

Depending on the RS232 adapter, you may need to put a Null Modem adapter in the serial link.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum