You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 9th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #1
BadGana
United States

Timing Product Gaps

Hi Guys,

I want to use a SLC 500 to time gaps between products on a production line. This is part of a project to reduce variability in gaps between products.

Is there a solution to time these gaps and then store them into a data table in a way I could export it to an excel spreadsheet?

I'm assuming I'd use something like an XIO bit enabling a RTO and storing the accumulated value each rising edge of the XIO and resetting the RTO.

Let me know your ideas.
Old February 9th, 2018, 04:21 PM   #2
Dravik
United States

Off the cuff -

Using some sort of detector for product vs no-product, and knowing when the line was running(don't want to time when the line isn't running, pointless).
Start a timer, end when you see the next product, copy the elapsed time to a data table using a FIFO perhaps.

Or, if you have a hmi/scada that can record data(maybe something like AdvancedHMI) just record each 'elapsed time' as it occurs and forget the whole FIFO nonsense.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum