PLC as a Stepper Motor Driver

RobertB

A few days back I posted that you can use a PLC as a Stepper Motor Driver. I got mixed reactions and a lot of requests to see it. So, I posted a video of it on YouTube for anyone to see. As you can see, you will still need a power supply for the motor and relays that can handle the amps and speed of cycling. Clocked at 88 pulses per second. Enjoy.

I tried to post a .rss file on this site, and it wouldn't accept it. Really?!?!? Until someone tells me how to post an AB ladder on this site... no.

Right click on the RSS file and select "Compress" or "Send To Compressed Folder" etc. depending on which OS you have, then post the .ZIP file

I use 7-Zip, a free download from CNET, as long as you catch the malware they try to add on.

I tried to post a .rss file on this site, and it wouldn't accept it. Really?!?!? Until someone tells me how to post an AB ladder on this site... no.
In addition to Aabeck's suggestion you could print the file as a pdf from RS Logix. The site permits pdf files.
You could simply change the file extension from .rss to .zip. The forum doesn't check to see if it really is a compressed file. If you choose that route, be sure to mention that fact in the post in which you attach it lest someone try to unzip it.

Great for as a challenge/learning experience and at the same time for industrial application reliability followed and cost, in that order, take priority.

Right click on the RSS file and select "Compress" or "Send To Compressed Folder" etc. depending on which OS you have, then post the .ZIP file

I use 7-Zip, a free download from CNET, as long as you catch the malware they try to add on.

Might as well DL it straight from the source, and bypass the CNET extras. BTW, apparently they just released a new version, jumped from v16 to v18.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Interesting... I did the same ages ago for an S5 as I was bored.

Thinking about it now, wouldn't it just be a counter pointing to an array and the right bits mapped out?

Is the noise coming from the motor or the relays? I couldn't tell if they were electromechanical relays or solid state.

Yes, a good learning experience, but not a practical solution.

I worked on some processing lines years back that had stepper motor controlled valves on spray pumps and conveyors, and all the control was done by the PLC5

I copied the logic and put it in a SLC to see how it worked, here it is zipped (I don't have the original RSL5 file stored)