You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 1st, 2018, 08:59 AM   #1
IdealDan
Malaysia

Scada with gprs

Hi Guys,
I have a Project whereby my client wants to REMOTELY see data coming from their energy meters. They want a situation where any authorized staff can just log on to a platform (may be a website) from anywhere/location and be able to view the data/value from those energy meter. Can GPRS achieve this? How best can I achieve this?
Thanks in advance.
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:15 AM   #2
gclshortt
Canada

You have not provided allot of detail on your existing data. Ill assume that it is on an Ethernet network. I would then use this or something similar to see the information remotely.
https://www.automationdirect.com/stride/index

Regards,
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:38 AM   #3
IdealDan
Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclshortt View Post
You have not provided allot of detail on your existing data. Ill assume that it is on an Ethernet network. I would then use this or something similar to see the information remotely.
https://www.automationdirect.com/stride/index

Regards,
Sorry Dear, it is not on Ethernet rather it's OPC server communication protocol. then with fibre optics wiring.
The energy meters does NOT has Modbus capability.
Any ideas?
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:46 AM   #4
widelto
Colombia

I used this several years ago, normally power meter use Mbus.
http://www.techbase.eu/en/products/i...ry-module.html
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:52 AM   #5
lfe
France

where are those energy meters located ?

I think that the old GPRS only offers a few services like email, www access, data transfer but I don't know if it's possible to establish TCP connections , mandatory to communicate with an OPC server.
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:56 AM   #6
IdealDan
Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe View Post
where are those energy meters located ?

I think that the old GPRS only offers a few services like email, www access, data transfer but I don't know if it's possible to establish TCP connections , mandatory to communicate with an OPC server.
If GPRS can give www access (website)and then it is ok! can it?

Second, I hope the OPC Protocol is good for this application?

where are those energy meters located ? AT THE PLANT!
Old March 1st, 2018, 11:11 AM   #7
lfe
France

No, to have www access in this case doesn't mean to establish other TCP connections.
If they are all in a plant, why not to use Wi-Fi or wired ethernet ?

GPRS is not free, they will have to pay to the telephony provider for each connection point and probably to pay an extra to get static IPs if not the meters will be unreachable ...

It seems possible TCP over GPRS with some hardware https://www.moxa.com/Event/IW/2009/O...odem/index.htm
Old March 1st, 2018, 11:15 AM   #8
IdealDan
Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe View Post
No, to have www access in this case doesn't mean to establish other TCP connections.

GPRS is not free, they will have to pay to the telephony provider for each connection point and probably to pay an extra to get static IPs if not the meters will be unreachable ...

It seems possible TCP over GPRS with some hardware https://www.moxa.com/Event/IW/2009/O...odem/index.htm
Good friend, they need to see data anywhere an authorized staff is, should be able to log in an view.
Old March 1st, 2018, 01:17 PM   #9
makr8100
United States

Instead of using GPRS use wifi/wired ethernet and have a web server interpret and serve the data. The plant's internet connection can become the address for monitoring. If your devices are OPC already you should have no problem writing an ASP .NET (either C# or VB) site to handle this. Modbus (if available) opens up a lot of possibilities too.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 01:21 AM   #10
IdealDan
Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by makr8100 View Post
Instead of using GPRS use wifi/wired ethernet and have a web server interpret and serve the data. The plant's internet connection can become the address for monitoring. If your devices are OPC already you should have no problem writing an ASP .NET (either C# or VB) site to handle this. Modbus (if available) opens up a lot of possibilities too.
Unfortunately, the energy meter does not support Modbus.

1. If your devices are OPC already you should have no problem writing an ASP .NET (either C# or VB) site to handle this------IS THERE ADDITIONAL HARDWARE REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE THIS METHOD?

2. Instead of using GPRS use wifi/wired ethernet and have a web server interpret and serve the data. The plant's internet connection can become the address for monitoring.----------COULD YOU PLEASE THROW A BIT MORE LIGHT ON THIS? I will appreciate.

Last edited by IdealDan; March 2nd, 2018 at 01:25 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 04:57 PM   #11
makr8100
United States

1. For OPC there should be no additional hardware required, but you'd have to have a server (PC) to communicate with the devices and run the ASP. OPC resources for .NET are here:
http://www.opcconnect.com/dotnet.php

2. The existing LAN should be able to make said ASP server communicate with the devices, as well as the outside world. You would have IT add a DNS entry for the server so it could be accessed. You would then of course want a login system, etc... We're talking about a full blown custom website here just to make sure we're on the same page. I'm not sure your company will look at that as a viable option either, but it's how it would be done properly.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 05:24 PM   #12
the_msp
Lifetime Supporting Member
United Kingdom

I had a request for a black box that could be moved around construction sites and send data of piling tests (load cells).

My proposal was:
a fan-less industrial DIN rail PC
Ignition SCADA
Sierra Wireless 3g/GSM/GPRS

All running off lorry batteries 24V with battery monitoring to the DA PLC (CPX). Was control as well as DA.

Can't report results as it didn't go through - heard through the grape vine that the company had been asking various Integrators to look at this over the last 15 years.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SierraWireless_AirLink_LS300.pdf (232.6 KB, 4 views)

Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMatrixEngineering
Old March 3rd, 2018, 06:12 AM   #13
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_msp View Post
Can't report results as it didn't go through - heard through the grape vine that the company had been asking various Integrators to look at this over the last 15 years.
I think they are looking at an Arduino ($$$$) solution...
Old March 6th, 2018, 08:27 AM   #14
lfe
France

But ... what communication protocols support these energy meters?
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum