You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 6th, 2018, 08:04 AM   #1
cdnewman
United States

Question FTView SE & ME

Morning Folks!

I came across an old VersaView HMI that appears to be running FTView SE and not ME. My experience with A/B doesn't date back quite that far and I am wondering what I'm up against. I need to make some changes to the HMI and all I have is ME software. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cdnewman; March 6th, 2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old March 6th, 2018, 08:12 AM   #2
LoganB
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Did you mean, "All I have is ME software"? Otherwise I'm confused...
Old March 6th, 2018, 08:58 AM   #3
cdnewman
United States

Yes I did. I edited my original question. Thanks for the catch.
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:05 AM   #4
jstolaruk
United States

It could be running ME station in which case you could make changes with ME Studio but you need to dig into a little deeper.
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:09 AM   #5
LoganB
United States

If it's running SE for sure, you will need SE software to make changes. The software itself isn't really all that different from ME, though there are a lot more capability with SE. It's almost certainly running as a standalone SE application, but I don't know of any way to make changes other than getting your hands on a copy of SE...
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:16 AM   #6
cdnewman
United States

OK, so it's running ME Station, rev 3.1. I have FTView Studio Machine Edition software.
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:45 AM   #7
jstolaruk
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnewman View Post
OK, so it's running ME Station, rev 3.1. I have FTView Studio Machine Edition software.
Should be good to go, just got to locate the folder where the runtime file is stored so that you can make changes.
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:04 AM   #8
LoganB
United States

If you can exit the runtime and click the "load application" button in ME station, that should show you the last area you loaded from. Copy the .mer file to your PC that has Studio ME, and use the application manager to restore the runtime application. If your PC is x64 bit, you will need to use the legacy tag database converter to convert the project's tag database before you can open it (but after you restore it), but know that once you do that you WILL NOT be able to restore the program from a runtime in the future. This is the case with ANY runtime created on a x64 bit station for a platform running firmware 5.10 or older.

Make sure you make an APA of the project to back it up after you've converted it.
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:10 AM   #9
cdnewman
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganB View Post
If you can exit the runtime and click the "load application" button in ME station, that should show you the last area you loaded from. Copy the .mer file to your PC that has Studio ME, and use the application manager to restore the runtime application. If your PC is x64 bit, you will need to use the legacy tag database converter to convert the project's tag database before you can open it (but after you restore it), but know that once you do that you WILL NOT be able to restore the program from a runtime in the future. This is the case with ANY runtime created on a x64 bit station for a platform running firmware 5.10 or older.

Make sure you make an APA of the project to back it up after you've converted it.
I've tried that approach. I get a pop-up that says the "Runtime App was saved in an older format that does not support conversion to a development application."
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:12 AM   #10
LoganB
United States

Is your studio station x64 bit? Or x32?
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:13 AM   #11
cdnewman
United States

Win7 32
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:18 AM   #12
LoganB
United States

You get that message when the .mer is created with the option "Never allow conversion" selected. Unfortunately, at least to my knowledge, there is no way around this protection.

If you don't have an APA, you may end up having to rebuild the program yourself...
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:45 AM   #13
Dravik
United States

The OP mentioned ME Station 3.1, You couldn't convert applications from before version 5 iirc.
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:49 AM   #14
cdnewman
United States

Ahh, so the plot thickens. I have an apa from a sister machine, but it's been upgraded to a PVPlus running ME 7.0. So from what I'm reading, it may be time to junk the VersView and replace it with a PVPlus and build a new runtime from the sister machines APA. Does that make sense?
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:50 AM   #15
LoganB
United States

If that's the case, he's definitely going to be SOL without either a file structure or an APA...

Is there a temporary file structure created on the versaview when it's RUNNING the mer? I seem to remember being able to copy some .gpx files from a PC that was running station one time to take a shortcut in rebuilding a program, but it's been years...
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum