CompactLogix flashing red ok, with a couple twists

Bobogrammer

Good morning everyone,
First post so please be gentle. Powered on a new 1769-l24er-qb1b to load a program and run some tests. PLC had a flashing red OK light, which normally is a recoverable major fault, but there's no program so is it hardware fault? I've tried flipping it in and out of run mode and power cycling, no effect. When I attempt to hook up to it to try to load my program or at least get an error message my computer fails to install the driver. Tried all the tricks I could find to get my computer to get the driver info but to no avail. Rockwell's charging my company 1200 a year to look at FAQ's and a useless forum. Please advise.

The driver it wants is the USBCIP driver if you are using USB. I believe that came w/ Rslinx 3.51 and higher(Update: checked the compatibility center, looks like 2.59.02) and higher .

Your other option is to connect to the Processor via Ethernet, set a static IP on your PC, hook a cable between PC and processor and use the BootP/DHCP utility(comes w/ Rs5000/Studio5000 tools) to set an IP.
Then you can connect using RsLinx via the Eth or EthIP driver.

You'll also need to flash it w/ whatever FW revision you plan to be using.

the USBCIP driver fails to install. Everytime. I have RSLinx 3.73 CPR 9 SR 7.3

Bootp/DHCP hasn't been working. 10065 socket error or something similar to that. Depending on how awesome helpful the people are here that was going to be my 2nd or 3rd post 🤷

So the flashing Red OK just means there's no program at this point?

Yeah, out of the box there's no program and it comes w/ a starter firmware you need to flash over.
So you will have it flash red at you.

Hmm, that error sounds like bootp/dhcp program isn't allowed through the PC firewall.

So the flashing Red OK just means there's no program at this point?

Correct.

+1 for burning BootP to the ground. I always get that socket error and can never get it to work. Like literally in dozens of iterations in different situations with different hardware. I can set an IP address, but as soon as I try to disable bootP, it loses connection.

Luckily, the USB (or serial in older hardware) has always worked great. Have you tried manually installing the USB driver? Or is it only failing when it attempts to install automatically through plug and play?

Ok so the PLC's fine, I just can't talk to it, the only 2 options are:

1. get the Boot/DHCP to work. I've tried it with both firewall and antivirus disabled, wiped out windows sockets and regenerated, 3rd part Boot/DHCP software, and probably a few other things.

2. get the USB driver to install correctly. I'm not sure why it's acting up so bad, maybe because it knows my preference is Siemens o_O I've deleted my USB drivers and regenerated, and pretty much everything I can think of short of completely uninstalling and reinstalling all my Rockwell software.

LoganB it's the plug and play that's giving me the trouble, getting the driver from Rockwell to try it that way.

In the standard dilemma of a rock and a hard place the plc has already been installed in the customers shop so i can't finish testing until its 100% ready to full machine testing.

I believe it was failing to install. It would start as soon as I plugged it in, and after a few seconds it would say it failed. Wish I could remember if there was an error code but I was whisked away to Mexico on a different job for a week.

are you SURE that the USB cable that you're using (between your computer and the processor) is GOOD? ... specifically, does it work if connected to "something else" beside the Processor? ... is there anything else in the connection (adapter, etc.) that you haven't mentioned yet? ... are you SURE that the USB port is operational? ... specifically, has your IT department (bless their little hearts) "disabled" the port to keep kooties off of the computer? ...
are you using a Virtual Machine? ...

All 3 USB cables I tried work with other things. They all work between different SEW drives and my printer.

Straight connection from Computer to PLC

All 3 USB ports are operational and used on a regular basis. I had read that I should use a 2.0 port, but all I have are 3.0's. Don't think that has anything to do with it since I've connected to a PLC not 2 month's ago with no issue.

For all extents and purposes I am the IT dept 🔨 scary no?

Running bare metal.

Good line of thinking Ron, doesn't hurt to cover all the bases.

DISCLAIMER: I've never worked with the type of CompactLogix that you're using – so I'm basing the following information on the bigger ControlLogix 1756-L75 processor that I have in my lab equipment ...

when I plug in a USB cable between my laptop and the L75 processor, the figure below shows what I see displayed in RSLinx ... note that it takes about sixty seconds for this to start up and automatically configure itself ... (I'm using an older version of RSLinx V2.57.00 - and it's the "Gateway" version - but I doubt that makes a difference) ...

I can make a USB connection through EITHER of the two links that I've highlighted below ...

question: are you sure that you are entering the correct MAC address into BootP ... specifically, where are you getting the address that you're entering? ...

regarding your statement:

For all extents and purposes I am the IT dept scary no?

trust me – that is NOT the scariest thing I have ever heard about an IT department ...

good luck with your project ... I'm pretty much swamped right now – but the forum should be able to get you up and running ...

TIP: the more detail you put into your questions, the more detailed the answers will be ... and a picture is usually worth much more than a thousand words ...

vpb_rslinx.PNG

Last edited:
Processor doesn't show up on my rslinx at all, which I am presently attributing to the unsuccessful USB driver installation.

As for BootP, I turn off my wifi, and the only connection being made is between my laptop and the controller. It shows the proper MAC address as sending a request, but when I try to assign an IP and disable BootP it gives me either a 10065 socket failure or just a generic timeout/failure.

I kinda fell into the IT after our lead programmer moved on to greener pastures. Being the young guy in the office makes me the best Google-er (young being subjective)

I think I'm pretty much on the right track to get this ball rolling with the manually installed driver, just need a chance to test it.

You guys are great! already infinitely better than Rockwell forums. Same post, same time, only 1 view so far :confused:

Thanks!

As i recall, the there are two versions of the USB driver:

64 bit is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Automation\UsbCipDriver
32 bit is located in C:\Program Files\Rockwell Automation\Rockwell Automation USB CIP Driver Package

Sometimes incorrect driver is installed. Try to uninstall it and then install the correct driver from the media

When you say from the media, do you mean the PLC? Because I have tried that, no success. If you mean the Rockwell installation software I can try that, would it be a full reinstall or just a repair?