You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 7th, 2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Jsu0234m
United States

Question CompactLogix High Speed Input Card

Everyone,
I have an application where I need to pump a varying weight(depending on recipe) into a tank. I can't use the load cells on the tank because the mixer has to run the whole time which causes the tank to fluctuate more than my recipe tolerances allow.

So I decided on using a IFM SP9601 flow sensor(1.3-80gpm) that will give me 100 pulses/gallon which is more than accurate for what i need (+-2 lbs is within recipe tolerances).

The problem I'm having is I don't know if my input card will read fast enough to count the pulses. Quick math 1gal/100pulses, pump is roughly 30gal/min, roughly 50 pulses/second that i need to be able to measure.

I think I'll probably need a 1769-IQ16F which is a high speed input module but i don't know for sure if it will read a 50hz signal.

This is the first time I've had to deal with high speed inputs, so i don't know what spec i should be looking for on the datasheet. I attached it for reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1769-IQ16F.pdf (43.9 KB, 5 views)
Old March 7th, 2018, 08:55 AM   #2
jstolaruk
United States

Take a look at the digital filtering. It appears to be delectable between 0s to 2ms. 2ms is 500hz, more than good for a 50hz signal. But, you may want to look at the HSC card for this application.
Old March 8th, 2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Jsu0234m
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstolaruk View Post
Take a look at the digital filtering. It appears to be delectable between 0s to 2ms. 2ms is 500hz, more than good for a 50hz signal. But, you may want to look at the HSC card for this application.
Thanks for your help.
Old March 8th, 2018, 09:33 AM   #4
pal
United Kingdom

I am using a 1769-IQ16F for a pulse train of up to 100 pulses per second with no missed pulses - but I have used screened cable for the input .
Paul
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum