PLC Mounted Vertically

Greg Dake

Hello!

I am working on a project to replace an AB SLC 5/04 10 slot rack which is currently mounted vertically, with a Compact Logix 1769-L33ER and associated 1769 I/O.

Are there any issues or caveats with mounting the Compact Logix vertically?

TIA,

Greg

From the Manual:
A CompactLogix 5370 L3 control system must be mounted so that the
modules are horizontal to each other. If you separate modules into multiple
banks, the banks can be vertical or horizontal to each other.

I think the big issue is cooling. But if the 5/04 worked vertically not sure why the L33 wouldnt work too.

CLX mounting.jpg

The natural airflow should be vertical from the bottom to the top of thee components. Other orientations are not recommended. But if you have forced air (fan) through the modules it might work.

For me the answer can only be one: if the specifications say that it must be mounted horizontally, it can not be mounted vertically ... and the guarantee would be lost

Obviously it's not ideal for cooling, so if the enclosure will stay very warm, I wouldn't do it without a fan as Bernie suggested.

Check the specs on the PLC though, it is probably rated for 140*F or so, so if you keep the enclosure cool you will probably be fine.

I've seen plenty of PLCs mounted vertically to know it's not a sudden death situation.

Hello!

I am working on a project to replace an AB SLC 5/04 10 slot rack which is currently mounted vertically, with a Compact Logix 1769-L33ER and associated 1769 I/O.

Are there any issues or caveats with mounting the Compact Logix vertically?

TIA,

Greg

Most of the products I've used (mostly Siemens) come with temp ratings for different mounting positions. Horizontal is best, but there is often a de-rating if you want to mount it at a different angle.

Most of the products I've used (mostly Siemens) come with temp ratings for different mounting positions. Horizontal is best, but there is often a de-rating if you want to mount it at a different angle.

That is not a helpful reply, considering the OP has specified the hardware in question.

It is always best to adhere to the manufacturers recommendations for mounting, which can be found in the reference documentation.

I have not seen any documention from A-B that "allows" vertical mounting of either SLC, CompactLogix, or ControlLogix, chassis,

Of course, you can always "roll your own", provide forced cooling with ducted fans etc., but if the manufacturer says "horizontal", they will always stick by their own recommendations, and support, should anything go wrong, will be severely limited.

34499 | Date Created: 03/09/2006 | Last Updated: 01/10/2018
Access Level: Everyone

Question
Is vertical mounting of SLC, Micro800, PLC and LOGIX processors, chassis, and power supplies a supported configuration?

Answer
Unless otherwise specified, Allen Bradley/Rockwell Automation does not recommend vertical mounting of any SLC/PLC/LOGIX chassis or power supplies.

Temperature, Shock and Vibration are all tested and rely on horizontal mounting in order to meet our published specifications. Temperature especially relies on convection air flow for cooling of the modules and mounting vertically would prevent this.

One noted exception is the CompactLogix 5370 L1x controllers. Vertical mounting of these controllers is supported, however, the 2" air gap all around the controller must always be maintained.