Siemens screen to GE PLC

Msut419

This is an odd one all, I have GE 90/70 PLCs and a very old version of Cimplicity (6.1) to control them with. We have recently add a new machine in my plant and the controls are all new state of the art and i have Siemens screens one it, they work great and are a cheaper solution to GE upgrade.

So my question is, can I use these screens with my GE 90/70 PLCs without doing anything crazy? Does the Siemens screen have a protocol converter built in? (I do not want to use a redlion)

What Siemens screen do you have?

Not familiar with the PLC you mention, what protocols does it support? Modbus might be an option?

The 90/70 is talking over TCP/IP but i can't find if it is talking mudbus or not. I does say that it talks over SRTP.

Last edited:
SRTP is GE's serial SNP protocol adapted for Ethernet TCP/IP. The 90-70 only ever supported SNP through the serial port on the CPU module and SRTP through the Ethernet module.
To use Modbus RTU you would need a communications coprocessor module IC697CMM711.
Or else check your documentation of the Siemens HMI to see if it supports communication with GE PLCs using SNP or SRTP.