You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #1
mmw
United States

RSLinx / Controllogix problem

My NT4.0 box running RSLinx 2.42.00 (build 18) will not allow me to browse past a 1756-ENBT module. I can "see" the ethernet module in RSWho, but when I click on the "+" to expand and drill into it, the "+" changes to a "-" (as I expect) but then just sits there and looks dumb. The driver Diagnostic Event Log has an entry stating "Can't read port type: no Harmony object for this Ethernet". I have already tried deleting the two harmony files, mentioned in one of Rockwell's tech notes. Not sure which direction to try next. Anybody else had this problem? Any thoughts (thoughts = solutions)?
Thanks.
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #2
Operaghost
United States

Assuming you know the IP addresses of the devices on the other side of the ENBT, can you use Windows Ping utility to ping them from your PC?

OG
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #3
Contr_Conn
United States

Most likely you need EDS file for you major revision.
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #4
bobwithdana
United States

First off what is connected to the Ethernet module? In some cases you need to ADD the Device so that it will be there.

Also how are you connected to the PLC, In my case I connect wireless thru a network and have to put a gateway in my ENBT card.

Need more information and maybe provide some help.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #5
tom_stalcup
United States

*Deleted due to saying the exact thing someone else said........ Gotta learn to read someday *

Last edited by tom_stalcup; February 17th, 2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #6
chendrixson
United States

If you are using the ethernet/IP drivers try setting up a plain ethernet driver adding the IP address of your ENBT in the station mapping configuration. Then you will have another "path" to take. we have been having trouble with this off and on for some time now. Version 2.41, 2.42, and 2.43 have all done the same thing. When Ethernet/IP locks up, I am always able to gain access through good old standard ethernet driver.

Regards,
Charlie
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #7
mmw
United States

Thanks for the responses guys. Let me address what many of you have suggested ...

operaghost: the ethernet module is setting directly next to a controllogix processor in the chassis. Yes, I can successfully ping the enbt.

Contr_Conn: I used the EDS Hardware Installation Tool and installed everything I could find. During the installation, the list of icons displayed the proper controllogix processor.

Bw/D: just connected on a plain ol' network ... nothing wireless involved.

chendrixon: I tried both the ethernet/ip and the standard ethernet driver, with the same results.

I have the same (RSLinx version) configuration on another pc that's running W2K and it works fine. Can drill into the controllogix chassis as needed. That's why I was suspecting that it might be an NT4.0 thing.
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #8
mmw
United States

problem resolved ... corrupt and some missing backplane EDS files thanks again to all (Bw/D - you pointed me in the right direction)
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum