3 way switch question

jtm1881

Using momentary contacts how would i create a 3 way switch that would hold the light on and off? In school we are using a psim program where we have to simulate different actions. in this step we are using 2 normally closed switches to one light.

Last edited:
How many switches do you plan to use at each location?

How many locations do you plan to have?

What type of PLC will you be using, Rack, Modular, Unitary, Circuit Board, or Embedded?.

What brand PLC will you be using?

What programming language will you be using, standard, RSView, IEC1113, LogicMaster, VersaPro, VersaMax, Cimplicity, basic, pascal, or Micro?

Will your momentary contacts be NO, NC, or Common?

What voltage will you be using, and will it be AC/DC?

Awaiting your reply...

jtm1881,

First, you got to know how a 3-Way switch works. It takes two of them to do any good at all!

Second, you have to know how they would be physically wired using "relay logic".

Third, you duplicate the hard-wired logic using PLC logic.

3-Way_Switch.jpg

lancie:

Nice explanation.

After several of us replied, he edited his post. JR had a nice link to the drum switch, but deleted his post.

After review in original (edited) post, it looks like he is after a flip-flop. While not difficult, he has added a second input button. On top of this, both input buttons are N.C. momentary.

While not possible, it is not probable anyone would have something like that in the real world.

But it is a good brain exerciser.

regards.....casey

Lancie
Nice explanation but using momentary, as stated, then the light would always be on.

I dont believe that using 2 momentary N.C. contacts can be arranged to create A 3 way switch. As you can see from Lancies example he created 2-3 way switches. Technically, with a PLC, any contact input IS a 3 way switch.

Personally I think Steve described it best, its a flip flop with multiple triggers.

X1 X2 C125
----]/[----]/[---------------( )---|

C125 C130
----]/[----------------------( )---|

C130 C131 C133 C132
----] [----]/[--|--]/[-------( )---|
C132 |
----] [---------|
C130 C132 C131
----]/[---|--] [-------------( )---|
C131 |
----] [---|