You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 31st, 2005, 08:53 AM   #1
ab_tarzan
Canada

Question A.B. Stuck runtime error

I have an A.B. 5/05 and I get an major fault 1F51H: A Stuck runtime error was detected on an I/O module. This error is non-recoverable.

Can someone help me?
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:06 AM   #2
davidg68124
United States

First of all, you need to find which module is causing the fault. Do you have some sort of basic card, serial module or other specialized module in the rack? If I remember correctly, the last time I saw this, the maintenance techs replaced a specialized module without regard to dip switch settings. Another time, the slot number the fault number associated with was one more than the actual module that was bad. That took some time to figure out, and AB's tech support was useless.David
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:17 AM   #3
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

It means there is a error in the communication between the backplane and an i/o module.
The "1F" in 1F51 means that the exact slot cannot be determined.

Try to disable slots one at a time (see S:11 and S:12) and see if the error goes away. Maybe that can pinpoint which module that causes the problem.
Otherwise you may have to exchange modules or the rack to get rid of the error.
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:51 AM   #4
ab_tarzan
Canada

Like Jesper said, the slot number cannot be identified.

When the error occur, I can reset it and it goes away for a week or two. So I cannot try to disable slots one a the time.

One other thing that I should mentioned. I have a two rack configuration with the cable between the racks. Do you think that the cable may cause any problems because the second rack is in an other panel (2' away)?
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:54 AM   #5
ab_tarzan
Canada

David,

Yes I do have a basic module on the rack. But It has been on the rack since the project start-up and I have had this error since the start-up.

Do you think that the module can be in trouble?
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:56 AM   #6
JesperMP
Denmark

Quote:
I have a two rack configuration with the cable between the racks. Do you think that the cable may cause any problems because the second rack is in an other panel (2' away)?
If they share the same power supply, and there is a nice thick earth connection between them, then it would be the same as having the two racks in the same panel.

Is there any special noise generating equipment (very large contactors, relays/solenoids without surge suppressors, VFDs ...) ?

Do people electro-weld without a proper return path for the welding current ?
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:58 AM   #7
JesperMP
Denmark

Quote:
But [the BASIC module] has been on the rack since the project start-up and I have had this error since the start-up.
If that module isnt critical for the application, you can try to disable and/or remove it from the rack.
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:40 PM   #8
ab_tarzan
Canada

I will try to change the Basic module for a new one and see what happens.

Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:10 PM   #9
davidg68124
United States

Unfortunately, if the error is not easily reproducable, then it will be hard to find. I agree with Jesper about possible noise problems. Verify your grounding. This one will be a bugger to find I'm afraid.

David
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum