You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 14th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #1
DGR
United States

Micrologix 1100 Ethernet port

I am having diffuculty communicating with a ML 1100 via the ethernet port. I am able to link OK via the serial port. I have RSLogix 500 V 7.0 and RSLinx Pro V 2.5 software. This is a direct link (no network). RSLinx (RSWho)is showing a connection however. The micrologix icon appears along with the IP address I assigned to it. However, when I go to RSLogix and go online I get the "No response from processor at selected path/node!" error. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #2
panic mode
Canada

rs linx updates are slow and will not nececarily show lost connection without long wait or manual refreshing.
since you are connecting directly to plc, make sure to use
crossover version of ethernet cable. make sure that both
plc and pc have valid addresses and that both are on a same subnet.
then try to ping plc to make sure everything is ok
then start rslinx and configure driver etc.
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #3
Alan Case
Lifetime Supporting Member
Australia

You dont need a crossover cable, the standard one works fine. The message you are getting usually means that the program is trying to go online using a path that does not exist at present. ie you last connected serially so it is trying to connect serially.
EITHER in RS Logix go to comms and try "Who Active Go Online" then drill down to find what you want
OR in the tree go to Controller properties, then the Controller Communications tab. There in the driver window select the driver currently in use, ie the ethernet one. You will probably find the serial driver was selected.

The above info will only work if everything else is set up correctly, ie RSLinx can browse the processor with RSwho using the ethernet driver.

Regards Alan Case
Old October 16th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4
panic mode
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Case
You dont need a crossover cable, the standard one works fine.
i didn't have chance to try this plc out but unless you use switch or hub you do need crossover. the only other exception is if you use one of few newer laptops that have smarter nics supporting Auto MDI-MDIX
Old October 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #5
Alan Case
Lifetime Supporting Member
Australia

Hi Panic, I must have on of the newer nic cards. I will keep that in mind if i use something else. Alan Case
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Contr_Conn
United States

I did not get 1100 yet, just ordered last week, but it is possible that it uses Auto MDI-MDIX port. I will verify and let you know.

More and more devices now use Auto MDI-MDIX. Almost every switch you buy today will have it.

Last edited by Contr_Conn; October 16th, 2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old October 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #7
Contr_Conn
United States

It looks like 1100 does not have Auto MDI-MDIX port.

From the user manual:
When to use straight-through and cross-over cable:
MicroLogix 1100 Ethernet port to 10/100Base-T Ethernet switch cables utilize a straight-through pin-out (1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 6-6).
Direct point-to-point 10/100 Base-T cables connecting the MicroLogix 1100 Ethernet port directly to another Ethernet port (or a computer 10/100Base-T port) require a cross-over pin-out (1-3, 2-6, 3-1, 6-2).
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #8
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Regarding the original post: if the MicroLogix icon shows up in the RSLinx browse, then RSLinx software is definitely communicating with the controller.

DGR said: "when I go to RSLogix and go online I get the "No response from processor at selected path/node!" error.

It's probably not that the processor is not responding, it's that the "selected path/node" is not right yet.

In RSLogix 500, you must define the "project path" to go online with a controller. The software will remember that path, so if you switch from serial to Ethernet (for example) you have to change the path too.

Instead of selecting Comms -> Go Online (that will use the current path), select Comms -> Who Active Go Online.

When the MicroLogix icon comes up in RSWho, look down in the lower right corner for the 'Apply to Project' checkbox. That will make the RSLogix 500 project use the path you select in RSWho. You will also be able to select the controller and click Download, Upload, or Go Online.
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #9
DGR
United States

Thanks Ken, going that route worked. I wasn't able to get the "Apply to Project" box to open but I could highlight the Micro and then hit OK and that got me online. Thanks again.
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #10
zimri
Trinidad and Tobago

Greetings, I have connected my ML1100 PLC to my PC via a straight cable and it appears in RSLINX when I use the ETHIP driver. However when I go to RSLOGIX, although it sees the processor as connected and ready, when I try to go online it tells me that the diagnostics have failed. Have you ever encountered this issue? thank you.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #11
Sergei Troizky
Canada

Use crosslink cable for direct connection.
Use Ethernet Devices driver (default name ETH-1).
In the RSLinx, got to Communications>Configure CIP Options, and set as shown:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSLinx.JPG (31.6 KB, 138 views)
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #12
zimri
Trinidad and Tobago

Thanks

Thank you Sergei, got it to work with the cross cable and the modified CIP settings. However the AB_ETHIP crosses out the MicroLogix 1100 even though the ABETH driver works.

This worries me since I need to interface with Citect Scada v7.2 which uses an Allen Bradley driver [ABMLXEIP] to communicate with the PLC. Do you have any ideas on how to get the other driver to work?

Thanks again,
Cheers
Zimri
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #13
zimri
Trinidad and Tobago

Citect Working

I got Citect to work using the same driver you advised. Thanks for you help Sergei.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum