USB-serial adapter

rocket1010

I know this is old news to most of you but just got a new laptop without a serial port...ouch!

Can not get 9030 ME5.0 to talk to a Belkin usb adapter, can go online but thats it no download, upload nothing.

any idears?

Do you have the program file that matches the program in the PLC? When you go online, does it tell you if your logic and configuration are equal? What does it tell you in the information window when you try to upload or download? Is there any password protection on the PLC?

well know this is even wierder...since you replied to my post I reconnect the adapter to try and get the error number I was getting, low and behold, it works like a charm now?!

If it ain't broke don't fix it? Is this the type of behaviour I should expect from these adapters?

Thanks for your responce.

As I mentioned in my response on the GE Fanuc forum, I use a Radio Shack USB/serial converter without any problems. I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Latitude laptop. The laptop has a real serial port, but I bought the adapter just to see what kind of problems I might run into. The only issues were what COM port number Windows assigned to the adapter and setting up my applications for that port. I've used it successfully with both Proficy ME and DirectSoft32.

I have used the Omron USB/232 converter successfully with GE 90-30, Hitachi E series, Mitsubishi A series, Schneider Zelio, Schneider Twido, Omron ZEN, Omron CJ1, Omron CS1, Omron CPM1A, Omron CQM1, Omron C200H with LK201E Host Link, Omron C200 Alpha, Omron CPM2A, AB SLC500, Omron NT600 screens, Omrom NS series screens, Modscan software into a Cummins LON/Modbus converter, various other Modbus RTU devices, Omron Device Net loop and quite a few others.

Until I purchased the Omron one, I had lots of trouble with Wiretek, Belkin, Radio Shack etc converters but I really think the laptop had something to do with it as well quite frankly. Some of the ones that did not work too well for me have worked very well for others.

I gave it away becuse too many big footed electricians kept falling over the cable and damaged the USB port in the HP XE3 laptop.

Have since purchased a HP (Compaq) laptop with a real serial port. It is excellent.
I have on order a Bluetooth/232 converter that will work with Omron PLCs and a USB/Bluetooth for the laptop. I am told that this combination will only work with the latest Omron PLCs but I will eventually find out that is for sure. Will try it with everything as I come to them.

Marvellous - 100 metres wireless connection at 115 kbaud - walk around a machine still on line with the PLC up to 100 metres away.

Will report back when I have tried it. May not be for a while as I have a Siemens job on at the moment with an S7-315/2 processor. Have not had the "pleasure" of working with Siemens for some years now and it is taking a while to get my head around the way Siemens do things again. The software has not improved much from some years ago. Not very friendly.

I have also found that if the laptop goes into hibernate, this can disable the serial adapters. All I have had to do was pull it out and wait for XP to recognize that it was missing. Plug it back in and it was ready to use.

BobB "I have on order a Bluetooth/232 converter that will work with Omron PLCs and a USB/Bluetooth for the laptop. I am told that this combination will only work with the latest Omron PLCs but I will eventually find out that is for sure. Will try it with everything as I come to them."

This is true if you want to communicate at the highest Baud. If you adjust the blue tooth device on the PLC side to 19200, it works with C200H as well.