English Grammar 101

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
Since we've had plenty of threads completely off the topic of PLCs lately, another one can't hurt (much).

Herewith, a few of my pet peeves about commonly misused words.

First, the words "its" and "it's". This is an easy pair to get mixed up. Engish normally forms the possessive by appending an apostrophe and the letter s such as Eric's snowplow or Peter's motion controller.

Furthermore, when we form a contraction (combining two words into one by dropping letters) we insert an apostrophe in the place of the missing letters.

These two rules are in conflict when we come to the words "its" and "it's". Which of those is the possessive and which is the contraction? By convention, "it's" is the contraction and "its" is the possessive.

This leads right into the next confusion which is between the plural and the possessive. As I mentioned before, English forms the possessive of a noun by adding apostrophe s. When English forms the plural of a noun by adding the letter s, it does so without the apostrophe.

Thus "Paul's" means belonging to Paul while "Pauls" means more than one Paul.

The words "to" and "too". "To" is a preposition indicating direction or distance (I am going to the store). "Too" is an adverb denoting an excess (I have too many bills).

The words "were" and "where". "Were" is the plural past tense of the verb "to be" (We were all young once). "Where" is an adverb indicating location (Where is my brain).

None of these misapplications will get flagged by your computer's spell checker. It's up to the writer to engage its own brain to check for conventional usage. Misapplication of words like these generates the impression that the writer is either uneducated or too lazy to care. Continued misapplication reflects poorly on the school where you were taught.

None of these misapplication's will get flagged by your computers spell checker. Its up to the writer to engage it's own brain to check for conventional usage. Misapplication of words like these generates the impression that the writer is either uneducated or to lazy too care. Continued misapplication reflects poorly on the school were you where taught.

Feel free to either flame away or add your own pet peeves.

Steve Bailey said:
First, the words "its" and "it's". This is an easy pair to get mixed up. Engish normally forms the possessive by appending an apostrophe and the letter s such as Eric's snowplow or Peter's motion controller....

Heh, heh.

Personally, I hate SMS-speak. Can I help u, or r u 2 buzy? Plz use teh English coz u r putting teh effort for deciphering dat sentence onto ur reader. This is an infection of forums in general, and admittedly is notably less prevalent on this one, but I just loathe it. I can tolerate bad spelling, but this sort of meaningless contraction just muddies the message.

I might note your duplication of the penultimate paragraph.

Subsequent to which I might notice the contrast in apostrophic usage.

Binaural said:
Personally, I hate SMS-speak. Can I help u, or r u 2 buzy?

Me too. It's too much effort to decode.

Although some of us learned to read phonetically, I sight read, or pattern read, and cell phone English is a foreign language that requires extreme effort. But I just go on to some other thread.

Dan

May the foreign-born put their two kopecks... sorry, cents in?

"There" and "their". It is amazing how many people confuse the two.

BTW, it's worth mentioning that Steve's comments by definition apply to the native English speakers only. Sorry folks, you are the ones who have no excuses here... Everyone else is good enough as long as they make their best effort to get understood.

:)

Ugh... SMS-speak. It's either an indication of very low education or it's the way that a non-English speaker learns the language over the Internet. Either way it means you're in for a long, painful attempt to communicate.

My pet peeve is the mis-spelling of the word "lose", meaning to fail to maintain posession of something. I find it often mis-spelled "loose", especially when referring to communication links between computers and controllers. Aaargh !

I realize that a lot of posters have taken exception to this sort of bias against poor grammar, claiming language dysfunction or simple unfamiliarity. I'm sure that such umbrage is only hours away on the Forum.

Clarity of thought often accompanies clarity of language. If it can be achieved despite poor grammar, I'll take it.

Steve Bailey said:
Since we've had plenty of threads completely off the topic of PLCs lately, another one can't hurt (much).

Herewith, a few of my pet peeves about commonly misused words.

First, the words "its" and "it's". This is an easy pair to get mixed up. Engish normally forms the possessive by appending an apostrophe and the letter s such as Eric's snowplow or Peter's motion controller.

Furthermore, when we form a contraction (combining two words into one by dropping letters) we insert an apostrophe in the place of the missing letters.

These two rules are in conflict when we come to the words "its" and "it's". Which of those is the possessive and which is the contraction? By convention, "it's" is the contraction and "its" is the possessive.

This leads right into the next confusion which is between the plural and the possessive. As I mentioned before, English forms the possessive of a noun by adding apostrophe s. When English forms the plural of a noun by adding the letter s, it does so without the apostrophe.

Thus "Paul's" means belonging to Paul while "Pauls" means more than one Paul.

The words "to" and "too". "To" is a preposition indicating direction or distance (I am going to the store). "Too" is an adverb denoting an excess (I have too many bills).

The words "were" and "where". "Were" is the plural past tense of the verb "to be" (We were all young once). "Where" is an adverb indicating location (Where is my brain).

None of these misapplications will get flagged by your computer's spell checker. It's up to the writer to engage its own brain to check for conventional usage. Misapplication of words like these generates the impression that the writer is either uneducated or too lazy to care. Continued misapplication reflects poorly on the school where you were taught.

None of these misapplication's will get flagged by your computers spell checker. Its up to the writer to engage it's own brain to check for conventional usage. Misapplication of words like these generates the impression that the writer is either uneducated or to lazy too care. Continued misapplication reflects poorly on the school were you where taught.

Feel free to either flame away or add your own pet peeves.
Is there going to be a test?đź“š

Ken Roach said:
Clarity of thought often accompanies clarity of language. If it can be achieved despite poor grammar, I'll take it.

Well, on the other hand, it is no secret that one of the best minds of this forum does make quite a few spelling and grammatical errors. Given the value of his messages and insights he gives to everyone... who cares?

The one that drives me crazy is when writers use the word "of" in place of the word "have".
"I must of unplugged the cable twenty times."

Then again, my English teacher would probably reprimand me for my overuse of quotation marks.

;-)

You guys should write magazine articles!

Before anyone gets to defensive, I get nit picked to death.
My business partner reviews my articles.
My marketing manager reviews my articles.
Our marketing consultant reviews my articles.
The magazine editor reviews and removes much of my article because I tend to go into too much detail. I have to ask for extra words and plead for more space.

After being corrected and made fun of enough times you learn.
For the most part, the people above just expect me to do a memory dump and they turn my ramblings into English. At least I have got into the habit of cutting and pasting my posts into MS Word and doing a grammar and spelling check. I have got better over the years. Practice make perfect. Not really, practice makes better. Lately I have been getting lazy and just using the Google toolbar spelling checker.

His, hers, its, they are all possessive. I don't make the lose mistake. It doesn't look right, but I know it is.

Sometimes I am tempted to run the MSWord spelling and grammar checker on the quotes to show how bad the spelling and grammer is. So far I have resisted unless the corrections make the post easier to understand.

English

OK My favs are Hopping and hoping. The English language is bad at best for communication. Guard or gard, phish or fish, psycle or cycle, fission or fish'n, two consanants following a vowel change the vowel sound short.... Who really cares? I am working with a group of tecks from Quebec, they speak french, we still can communicate, it just takes time. My problem is the PLC program.....I toured the clx program and many of the descriptors are still in french. Communication is the expression of an Idea. Right or wrongly expressed, if we know what the idea is, the communication is succesfull. Gawd or God right or rite, straight up or not, just listen, or read carefully. Kewl...:)

Misspelt words I can handle, grammar mistakes I can also handle, 'text speak' I cannot stand, I hate 'text speak'!

I don't even use 'text speak' when I send an SMS, so why would I use it to post a message on an internet forum?

English can be a difficult language to learn, especially with the likes of to, too, where, were, we're, there, they're, their ect, when these mistakes are made by second language English speakers it is understandable.

I don't use Word, or any spell checker, I just try and proof read what I have written using the preview button, hopefully I spot my mistakes, some probably get through.

There is one Dutch speaker who frequents this forum whose posts show a better grasp of the English language than a lot of us English speakers, I won't name him, but I am sure most of you know who I am talking about.

Paul

Steve, I whole-heartedly agree, but then...

Typoglycemia

it looks weird... Believe it or not you can read it ...

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia :)-

Amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

Typoglycemia means we can read what we want to read.

a news flash that made it to my inbox

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f! ". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double leters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining! "ou"and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru. Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

"u" instead of you
"r" instead of are
etc....

That is what I call "Thumb-Type" or "Thumb-Speak". Typical on I-Pods.

If u ain't got the time, me 2. ... or some-such.

One of my peeves is "irregardless". This is a double-negative. "Regardless" means without regard to, while "irregradless" means NOT without regard to... which of course means, "regarding".

How about, "noone" as opposed to "no one" (sorry Ron, blow it off!).