Allen Bradley 1492 Wiring Systems

sthays10

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) using the AB 1492 wiring systems? I have several 1756 I/O modules, and it seems that the wiring systems would make it much easier to wire. Plug one end into the module, the other end into a specialized terminal block, and you've eliminated manually wiring from the TB to the RTB, right?

Is this something worth looking in to?

All comments appreciated. Thanks

Steve

I think it is great. The time savings and reduction in mistakes pays for the wiring systems. Get the IFMs with LEDs and look into the fused IFMs on your outputs

Do you have any idea if these are off the shelf or if they are custom made?

I only have Analog I/O, so would the LEDs still be helpful?

Also, what kind of price am I looking at?

Actually Rockwell has a pretty good selection guide on there website. Look at THIS link.

Looks like you have a few choices for your modules. For the 1756-IF16 you have three blocks you could use but simplest choice would be
1492-AIFM8-3 -Plain feed through module
1492-ACABLE005UA - Cable for the Voltage Input
1492-ACABLE005UB - Cable for the Current Input

For the 1756-OF8, use the same feed through
1492-ACABLE005WA - Cable for Voltage Output
1492-ACABLE005WB - Cable for Current Output

The 005 in the cable part numbers means .5 meters. Read on the link for standard cable lengths.

TWControls said

"I think it is great. The time savings and reduction in mistakes pays for the wiring systems. Get the IFMs with LEDs and look into the fused IFMs on your outputs"

Ditto

He also said
"No, LED would not help. What is the part number of your analog modules. I can help selecting IFM."

I disagree, also fuse each analog input it will help (the "+" going to each input device). If one gets shorted
it will blow it's fuse and not take out the entire 24vdc supply. The led will show which one is shorted.

Yes, before you correct me Mickey, the blow fuse indicators are LEDs but I was refering to LEDs to show the state of the input or output. This makes troubleshooting much easier since it is hard to trace the wire in the cable up to the I/O module

Couple questions:

1) When it says "16-channel single-ended with 3 terminals/channel", what terminals is it talking about?

2) I have a bit of a problem that I just realized: I have 1 analog input module that is all voltage (16 channel) and one that is all current (16 channels). That leaves me with the third module that has 2 voltage and 2 current. It doesn't look to me like I will be able to use the wiring system/IFM for this. Am I thinking correctly?

3)

TWControls said:
1492-AIFM8-3 -Plain feed through module
1492-ACABLE005UA - Cable for the Voltage Input
1492-ACABLE005UB - Cable for the Current Input

If I wanted to go with the fused inputs, i would order the 1492-AIFM16-F-3? Also, it mentions 24VDC indicator lights. Does the IFM require 24V to it for the LEDs to work?

4) Are these DIN rail mounted? Is there a link for the IFM that gives dimensions (so I can layout the panel)?

5) Where can I find the cost of these bad boys?

Thanks for the help. I love this forum.

Steve

1. 3 screw terminals to hook the wires up for each channel
2. You can call them and they can make the cable for you or it is not hard to modify the Controllogix end
3. That would be the correct part number and yes it requires 24VDC to be hooked to the module for the blown fuse indicators to work
4. Yes they are DIN rail mounted. For drawings go HERE and type the part number in and press submit. The first tab gives you some information including the list price. The second tab has the drawings of the part. You price should be less than the list price but you will have to get with your distributor on that
5. Where exactly do you live? Do you know who your local distributor is?

I'm in western washington (kitsap penninsula). I know the distributor, but they were closed yesterday. I am going to call them this morning.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

-Steve

I'm ordering these for the 1st time. Does anyone know if the pre-wired cable comes with the I/O module cover. The picture from the catalog only shows the cable and the RTB.

TWControls said:
1. 3 screw terminals to hook the wires up for each channel
2. You can call them and they can make the cable for you or it is not hard to modify the Controllogix end
3. That would be the correct part number and yes it requires 24VDC to be hooked to the module for the blown fuse indicators to work
4. Yes they are DIN rail mounted. For drawings go HERE and type the part number in and press submit. The first tab gives you some information including the list price. The second tab has the drawings of the part. You price should be less than the list price but you will have to get with your distributor on that
5. Where exactly do you live? Do you know who your local distributor is?

thanks for THAT Link TW, not seen that one before, ideal for drawings!

DaveW said:
I'm ordering these for the 1st time. Does anyone know if the pre-wired cable comes with the I/O module cover. The picture from the catalog only shows the cable and the RTB.
Yes, the I/O module cover is included