You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 5th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #1
maverick2986
United States

Fancy Exclamation RSLOGIX 500 Decimal to Hex

Hello,

I'm currently working on a vision system project where a camera takes a stored image of a pattern and compares it to an image just taken via a trigger (in this case sent from the PLC) and calculate the offset (X, Y in units of pixels; R in degrees). This ASCII string is then read into the PLC. I then "chop it up" into separate ASCII strings to extract the X, Y, and R from the data string. This then get concatenated with a transmission start code ($) along with a few other things and sent to a robot to calculate the offset before moving. I have the format roughly down, however I do have two problems. 1) The string output must be in Hex format so a "-2300" must be output as "FFFFF704". I have no idea of how to do this conversion. Even if I were to convert the ASCII value to an integer, how would I be able to then go ahead and convert it back into an ASCII value but in Hexadecimal format? 2) Many times the offset value is rather large and would probably cause an overflow if I were to convert the ASCII value to an integer. I thought about converting it to a Float but could not find an instruction for ASCII to FLOAT conversion.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Brian
Old July 6th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #2
Doug-P
United States

There are instructions to convert ASCII to integer (ACI) and vice versa (AIC). As long as the values don't exceed the limits of a 16-bit integer you can do this in one word. Converting the integer to its hex equivalent in ASCII is tedious but not impossible. What I'd do is write a loop or subroutine to evaluate each 4-bit NIBL in turn and convert it to its hex ASCII representation and then concatenate (ACN) the resulting characters into the complete value.

If the values do exceed 16-bit limits there are multiple threads addressing the FLOATS to INTS conversion problem.
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #3
TConnolly
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Have you checked the AB Knowledgebase?

A quick search on "hexadecimal" uncovered several technotes on converting INTs to Hex strings and sending Hex info over the com ports.

http://domino.automation.rockwell.co...4?OpenDocument

http://domino.automation.rockwell.co...1?OpenDocument

http://domino.automation.rockwell.co...5?OpenDocument

http://domino.automation.rockwell.co...2?OpenDocument

There are more as well.
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #4
spaceacealpha
United States

That doesn't do you any good if you don't have a tech connect paid service.
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacealpha View Post
That doesn't do you any good if you don't have a tech connect paid service.

6 years ago when he posted those they were probably free.

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum