SoftLogix5 and RSLinx Enterprise--can they play nice together?

rgurin

Greetings all, short-time responder, first-time posting question...

Has anyone been able to successfully communicate to a SoftLogix5 controller (software version of PLC-5) using RSView SE and RSLinx Enterprise?

I am creating a training scenario for a customer, and I was *hoping* to be able to simulate (in class) an Ethernet PLC-5 using SoftLogix5 instead of having to ship a PLC demo to the site. The customer is running a distributed RSView SE system, and has recently changed data servers from RSLinx Classic to RSLinx Enterprise.

In my test lab, I am banging my head against the wall trying to establish a connection between RSView Studio software and the SoftLogix5 controller.

I know that there is no problem communicating using RSLinx Classic, but this defeats the purpose. In RSLinx Enterprise, I can add a SoftLogix controller to the Ethernet driver, but whenever a browse occurs, the Softlogix device disappears, indicating that it is not being seen on the network.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or am I stuck with going the hardware route.

More details on the setup:

RSView SE version 3.2
SoftLogix v.2.1
SoftLogix Winsock32 TCP/IP driver installed.
Both machines (one running SoftLogix and one running RSView Studio) are on the same Ethernet subnet.
I attempted running all software from same machine, with unsuccessful communication as well. I tend to believe that the failure on the single computer is because I did not set up Linx Enterprise and Linx Classic to run side-by-side; not sure if this would help.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rick

I think you're out of luck.

I tried this once using Studio ver 3.1 and PV+.
When running the application on my PC it would communicate with the SL5, but not from the PV+. I eventually came across some documentation (can't remember where) confirming that behaviour.