You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 4th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #1
m_reavis
United States

panelview plus 1000

Hi, I am working a panelview plus 1000 for a conveyor company and I would like to replace the AB screen saver bitmap with the company logo bitmap. Is this possible, if so does anyone have any ideas?
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #2
rPraveenkum
India

Yes possible!!! you have to define in the Terminal Configuration
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #3
m_reavis
United States

unclear

I assume you are talking about the terminal setup screen. I find the screensaver utility but do not see a way to change the bitmap. only turn it on or off and intensity settings.
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #4
rPraveenkum
India

see this

http://domino.automation.rockwell.co...256E7F006F61B8
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #5
m_reavis
United States

thanks

Thanks for the information. I tried to search for that in the knowledge base but have a hard time narrowing the search to a manageable number of hits.

Again, thanks a lot!!
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Operaghost
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPraveenkum
There are no manageable hits. This is a direct link to an article on the Rockwell Knowledgebase. This article details exactly how to change the screensaver bitmap.

OG
Old September 5th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #7
m_reavis
United States

da

ya I got that, I meant the search I did of the ab knowledge base before I posted the question. Anyway the instructions are clear except when they refer to Storage Card2 I assume they mean any storage device including usb flash drives. Also I program with windows 2000 professional the OS for the screen is CE will this be a problem?
Old September 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #8
rPraveenkum
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_reavis
when they refer to Storage Card2 I assume they mean any storage device including usb flash drives.
refers the compact flash drive
Old September 5th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #9
baref00t25
United States

One easy way to modify the screen saver is to connect an USB keyboard to the panelview plus. Press, Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Windows_Start_Key at the same time. This will bring up a sort of task manger. Type in control.exe You have to do most of the file management using the browse window, but it works great.
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #10
rPraveenkum
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by baref00t25
One easy way to modify the screen saver is to connect an USB keyboard to the panelview plus. Press, Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Windows_Start_Key at the same time. This will bring up a sort of task manger. Type in control.exe You have to do most of the file management using the browse window, but it works great.
gooooooood information
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #11
m_reavis
United States

thanks again...one more question

Hi, this is good information. I have an unrelated question about uploading a .mer file from a running touchscreen and converting it to an .apa file that can be restored for use in RSView Studio. To me this should be a no brainer, I hate to download a program that may or may not be a match for what is running.
Old September 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #12
jasdhillon
United States

I dont think it allows you to upload. I even tried to upload to the flash card, but the file did not work. You can back up the application that you creat.
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #13
Operaghost
United States

The .mer file is not convertible to a .apa file. The idea is that developers can supply you with the runtime file (.mer) but they retain the source code (.apa) as "intellectual property".

This way I can't walk up to a system developed by a competitor and pull their project out of the terminal and modify it to fit my needs. They spend all the time and effort developing a function app and I slide in the back door and copy it.

So, to get the .apa you must have the original source code. Likewise if I develop a C++/VB app, I will provide the runtime to the customer but I won't give them my source code because I have time and money invested in that.

If you must have the source code, you need to have that specified in the contract or specification. You can ask for it afterwards, but you may not get it.

OG
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #14
baref00t25
United States

It is possible to convert a .mer file to a .apa file, but it isn't straigh forward. One must pull the .mer file off the Panelview Plus and then run it on their PC. Once run ont he PC it creates a directory with several files. From these files you can place them in RSView ME directory where applications are stored (over the top of an existing one) and the application will load in RSView ME for you to back it up to a .apa file. You will lose certain pieces of information like the alarm lists and global connections. It takes a little playing around with, but you can look through the alarm file and get a good idea of what the alarms were. The last time I had to do this type of conversion on a rather simple 20 screen HMI took me about 4 hours to rebuild.
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #15
m_reavis
United States

convert .mer to .apa

does sound a bit involved, I'd like to give it a try but would hope for more detailed information for file locaction, which files and such. I wonder if ab has anything in knowledgebase? I'll give it a look but don't hold out much hope. Let the games begin.
Thanks
Mark
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum