PLC5 Analog Ladder

razal

I'm familiar with discrete programming BUT just learning on Analog. I've PLC5/40 with analog input card 1771 IFE A. How could I create a ladder using analog input? Say, I'm connecting a 12mA current to 3+ and 3- . It should result in opening a valve connected to the output card by 50%. Appreciate very much your explanation on the ladder. You may give give other simple example that may help.

I also have SLC 5/04 and I/n card 1746-N14; O/p card 1746-N04

Thank you

Greetings razal ...

and welcome to the forum ... here are some links that might be helpful ...

basic information about "configuring" the I/O for the PLC-5 platform ...

information about Block Transfers and analog signals ...

it will be hard for us to give you any detailed information about how to program the rungs for your specific system without knowing a LOT more about how it’s set up ... if this is just a “spare” system that you can SAFELY! experiment with, then you might want to try clicking the “magic button” shown below ... basically, the RSLogix5 software will actually write the Block Transfer rungs for you automatically ... but before that happens, you need to tell the system about how you want everything configured ...

ife_autorungs.JPG

recommended game plan: read the links we’ve given you ... and then tell us EVERYTHING about how your system is put together ... then ask any specific questions that you might have ... this “PLC-5/analog signal” thing just happens to be a pretty big topic ...

Last edited:
Dear Mickey and Ron,

Yes, our company spare these 2 plc for learning and experiment. On each type of plc we have one discrete input, one analog input, one discrete output and one analog output card. I will give the details of the cards today. So far, I've no problem working on the discrete but I know next to nothing on the Analog - my first time venture after looking at them for the past 2 months.

Thank you

First thing you will need to do is set up the card before you plug it in the chassis. You will need to set the jumpers on the card. These are set
based on the type of input you have. Voltage ( Differential or Single ended), Current Differential or Current Single Ended. See the user manual provided above. Then pick a slot and plug it in, power-down before you do this. Open RSLogix, go to I/O configuration and add your module.
Someone can help with this part if you have further questions.

here are a few things that will help us - as we try to help you ...

tell us whether you’re using two-slot, one-slot, or half-slot addressing (one-slot is easiest to get started) ... are you wiring your analog inputs as differential or as single-ended? ... (differential is easier to get started) ... what slot is your IFE module located in? ... the best way to identify the slot is to “LETTER” all of the slots in the chassis (not “NUMBER” them) and say that the processor is in “SLOT A” - and then list the rest of the modules as “B-C-D” etc. ... this system removes the ambiguity that results from different addressing modes when you’re describing your system layout to us ...

good news: nothing about this operation is “hard” ... bad news: there are a LOT of little steps that have to be done CORRECTLY before everything starts to work right ...

as Mickey said, make sure that the jumpers are set up right ... I’d recommend setting everything for “differential-current” as long as you have a 4 to 20 mA transmitter available ...

Mick, Ron

I've read all your good info and on some I need your helps. Let me tell you what I have.
I've a desktop with the RSLogix 5 (62000) and RSLinx software with a serial RS232 cable connected to the PLC5 CPU. The dip switch at the backplane near the CPU has been formatted for 'Single Slot Addressing'.
We have only one rack - ie, rack 00
The arrangement of the cards in sequence :
CPU - left most card and next in sequence are
Module Group 0 - discrete input card
Module Group 1 - discrete output card
Module Group 2 - Analog input card
Module Group 3 - Analog output card.

I've opened the analog input card this morning - 1771 IFE A and saw that ALL the pins have been hardware configured (based on the card info you forward to me) as single ended current.

I also opened the analog output card - 1771 OFE1 B. I saw many clusters of pins. I assume it may have been configured to produce voltage signal. I appreciate if you can forward me the output card info as I've none.

Using the RSLOgix, the I/O configuration has recognized all 5 cards (including the CPU).

Now, just assume I want to simulate a DC current input using a DC current source equipment that I have and then injected this signal to terminal 2+ and its analog common of the input card. At the output card, I will use a volmeter to measure the DC voltage signal across the terminal OUT 0 and its analog common.

I expected if I inject 12mA (using 4-20mA) the ouput will register 3V (using 1-5V).

What I do not know?

1) Where is the menu for me to make the BTW (software)configuration - ie. the graphic you have shown to me. When I open the RSLogix, I have data files (T4, C5, etc) on the left sie and a place for writing the ladder diagram on the right.

2) Based on the connection as I suggested, how is the ACTUAL ladder to run this simulation. Are we suppose to use adressing such as I:002/2 ? Can you explain based on the ladder - how the input signal is proceesd and later pass to output.
I think I can understand MOV, JSR-SBR-RET, ONS, unit BCD-unit conversion, etc
Well as I said I know very little. I may not have ask the correct questions. This is my starting ground. Thank you very much for reading and of course for your kind heart to help.

I've 3 books on PLC - but none touch quite detail for novice like me on the Analog programming.

Greetings razal ...

I’m teaching this week and so I have very little time to help ... but I will try to answer all of your questions in the next day or two ... I’ve got a hunch that Mickey will have everything taken care of by then so there won’t be much (if anything) for me to add ... in the meantime, take a look at the post (Post #7) by our distinguished colleague OkiePC in this thread ...

many of the screen shots that he shows in that post are directly applicable to your project ... I’ll get back to you as soon as I can - but please let us know if you get everything working before that ...

and thank you for your excellent description of your system ... I haven’t had time to go over it in detail yet ... but at first glance, it looks like you’ve included everything that we need to finish this up ... all we need now is time to work on it ...

I'l give it a try. It won't be as thorough as Ron's but here goes.

To add your input module double click on I/O configuation
IOConfig.jpg

Then double click chassis
ModuleType.jpg

Then double click on slot where module is to be placed

SelectModule.jpg

Select your module then ok
Then double click on module to bring up module config screen
ModuleConfig.jpg

Make changes as pre your setup and accept edits then click insert ladder rungs

This screen will show up click auto-pick then done
AutoPick.jpg

It will then ask you where do you want to place the BTR/BTW instruction ( your call)

BTW_BTR.jpg

accept edits and down load.

Your input module data will be in the integer files shown in the module config screen
You can double click on the BTR instruction to see this again.
Raw data is 0-4095 = 4 to 20ma
Get the input module working first the we can move on to the output part.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mick , Ron

I shall never know kind of people you are.
I didn;t the least expect both of you to respond very fast.
Again I will digest your info and work on it.

May you be bless and your life full of satisfaction.
Thank you

Mickey, Ron - Hello
I've just come back from a vacation. I've tried on the your Ladder. So far so good.
I'm now very much appreciate if you could give the full Ladder program of the of the analog input and output problem that I pose earlier. For your info I've has tried the SLC5/04 - it seems different ie. no need for software configuration of the I/O signals.

Thanks in advance.

"vacation" ??? what's that? ...

see if this helps with your problem ... if it doesn't answer all of your questions, please post more specific information about how your system is put together ...

razal1.JPG

I've tried the SLC5/04 - it seems different ie. no need for software configuration of the I/O signals.

actually some of the larger SLC analog cards DO require a type of "configuration" ... but that's usually done by putting the correct pattern of bits into the module's location on the output data table ...

good luck ...

Last edited: