control logix message error

andyf

i am using 2 logix 5000 plcs to try and send a message between two machines over an ethernet connection but it keeps bringing up the error "16#0004 syntax error"
Can anyone tell me what this means and where am i going wrong.

The error message will not reveal your problem without the context of the message instruction's parameters.

Describe the IP addresses of the EtherNet/IP modules, and the slot numbers of the modules (and the controllers). Describe the entries you've made in the MSG instruction configuration fields.

The type of message is a CIP data table write
i have 2 racks configured the same
13 slot rack with the processor on slot 0 and the ethernet card in slot 1
address for second card is 10.133.22.13
The source and destination tag are all set up.

You need to post what is entered in the path of your message as well as the other message parameters.

You might also note the size and data type of the destination array and the source array.

RSL

Let's look at the Path for your MSG instruction. This tells the message how to navigate from the initiating controller to the target controller, including the hops across the backplane and across the IP network.

CIP Paths are well explained in the Help file for RSLogix 5000. They are simply pairs of numbers with a Module Port and an Network Address. Port 1 is the backplane, Port 2 is the network port. Backplanes are considered networks too, with slot numbers for addresses. Path elements are separated by commas.

For your setup, the path would be

1, 1, 2, 10.133.22.13, 1, 0

the initial "1, 1" might be replaced with the name of your local EtherNet/IP module if it's in the I/O tree.

Produced and Consumed Tags might be an alternate method of exchanging data between these controllers, if they are on the same local IP subnet.

sorry
the path entered in the msg instruction is
Enet0_1,2,10.133.22.13,1,0

Enet0_1 is in the rack configuration for the 1st plc
the source and destination arrays are 1 word intergers

OK, so the Path is correct (I expected it to be, but wanted to check) so we need to focus on the Syntax Error.

Is the target tag in the Controller Scope tag database ? Only Controller Scope tags can be the subjects of MSG instructions and Produced/Consumed Tag configurations.

My next suggestion would be to change the datatypes to DINT, not INT elements.

Problem sorted i had a brain and a half wave and found a problem with the destination tag.

Thanks for the help anyway