GE Fanuc Series One

djf

I have a question regarding input status checking. Any other suggestions welcome. We have a GE fanuc Series One with Hand Held Programmer. RUN mode led but no machine operation. Looking to confirm input status in program. The following observations have been made:

- Power Light is ON, Line & 24VDC power confirmed
- RUN light is ON, CPU light is OFF, Bat light is OFF
- Code can be viewed from Programmer
- Input Card LED's toggle with device toggle on both input cards
- Using MON, input status looks OK from the 16 Programmer LED's
- Outputs can be forced
- Viewing ladder and an Input address from the Programmer, toggling the input does not change status of the ON/OFF led.

Last item above, should I expect to see a status change at the ON/OFF led. Thanks!

The Series One doesn't have true forcing capability. All you can do is to toggle an input for one scan. If the input is on an input module's address, then the actual state of the input is going to take precedence over the state you try to set with the handheld.

Page 5-42 of the manual GEK-90842 covers the subject, even though it might lead you to the conclusion that forcing is possible. To me, forcing an input allows you to dictate the state regardless of the state of the hard-wired signal. Forcing an output allows you to dictate the state of the output regardless of what the ladder logic is commanding. What they call "forcing" in a Series One does not comply with that definition.

Thanks Steve.

Your ref to page 5-42 of the manual is where I (learned) to force an output. I tested an unused output which turned on indefinitely.

My question is RE inputs, no forcing involved:

Viewing ladder and an Input address from the Programmer, toggling the input does not change status of the ON/OFF led. Should I expect to see a status change at the ON/OFF led.

Thanks!

The LEDs on input modules are driven by the field-side wiring, not by the logic. When current flows at the input terminal, the corresponding LED illuminates. Based on that, there is no reason to expect an LED to be turned on when you force an input. This would still be true if the Series One allowed true forcing of inputs.

Last edited:
I DO appreciate your responses and suspect you can help! I need to clarify my question:

I am trying to confirm [in the Ladder] that the Inputs are functioning from field device, through I/O cards and into the logic. Forcing is NOT being used to test this.

Toggling the field device provides LED status at the Input Cards, also on the Programmer Panel using the MONitor function. So-far-so-good.

When viewing the Ladder at an Input address from the Programmer, toggling the field device does not change status of the ON/OFF LED. The LED I mean here is located to the left of the RUN Led on the Programmer. Page 4-2 of the Manual states "When in Run Mode, this LED indicates the status of discrete references". I don't see it displaying the proper state. Should I expect to see a status change at the ON/OFF LED.

Page 7-2 of the Manual under General Troubleshooting Procedure, Item 2 seems to be getting close to my issue. I may have 2 Input Module that have failed.

Thanks again!

Sorry djf,

I got sidetracked on the subject of forcing and misinterpreted your question.

Yes, when you're monitoring a ladder element the ON/OFF LED on the programmer should change state to reflect the state of the corresponding real-world input. If you see the LED on the input module change but the ON/OFF LED doesn't change, it's either an indication that the module is defective, the rack is defective, or the input is not at the address you think it is.

Addressing in the Series One is based on the physical location of the module. I set up a Series One with an IC610MDL108 input module two slots to the left of the CPU. Its addresses are 010-017 and 110-117. When I look at a STR instruction addressed to 010 in the ladder logic, the ON/OFF LED changes state when I touch a wire to the top left terminal.

BTW, are you aware that the Series One product is the same as the Automation Direct DL305? If it turns out that a module is bad, you can still get replacements.