You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old June 14th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #1
CraigM
Australia

Pencil RSLogix 500 edit rung descriptions

Hi all
Anyone have any idea how to import rung descriptions. I've tried using the "Export ASCII" to .ERP and edit in notepad. It imports with no errors but nothing is updated. Any ideas?
I've writen a macro that auto-generates the code and it would be nice (& time saving) to have the same for the descriptions.
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #2
rPraveenkum
India

Export in csv format edit in excell save in same csv formet Import it back
http://www.praveen.envy.nu
Life is like butterfly, handle with care - Praveen
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Some info here also:

http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?pa..._v2&id=22&c=11

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #4
CraigM
Australia

Pencil

Sorry guys, maybe I wasn't clear in my request. I need to edit the "Page Title / Rung Desc." You cannot edit in CSV format because the import csv does not support page title edits. The only format I can export it into is the .ERP, .TXT both of which, if edited and reimported, does nothing.
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #5
mellis
United States

Craig,

I just tried exporting a single rung comment to a .erp file. I editted it in notepad. Then imported it back to RSlogix. My changes made it back in fine. Are you sure you don't have "On collisions: discard imported ASCII records" checked?
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #6
CraigM
Australia

Pencil

Yep, set to override. Still no joy though
If it helps, I'm using RSLogix500 ver 7.10
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #7
CraigM
Australia

OK, got it to work now, not sure what changed but shut down Logix, re-exported, modified and re-imported. Previously I tried to make edits in excel and this must have messed up the format, even though I clicked on "Keep file format" when saving.

Thanks for you input.
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #8
CraigM
Australia

Fancy Exclamation

OK, here's the solution.
What actually happens is that the Rung Title & Comments are imported, you just cannot see them (at least not right away). I discovered this when I double-clicked on one of the rungs in question then hit enter - the comments appeared!!

Had Rockwell look into it as well and their fix was that (for ver 7.1) you need to Rebuild the Database.
You do this by clicking Tools > Database > Rebuild DB and click YES when prompted. Apparently ver 7.2 has a different format and does not encounter this problem.
Hope this helps.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum