You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #1
ckchew666
Malaysia

Test pen lighted when testing 24V DC?

Hi guy,

Sorry, this is not a PLC question, but it's something regarding wirings & power.

I'm checking a system which consists of many remote indicators. All indicators are 24V DC or AC supported. But the system are using 24V DC. When I test the supply at the indicator connector (2 wires), the test pen lighted up.

I taught test pen only lighted when we test on AC system? How can it be? Some other colleague also get a minor short when accidentally touched the cable (which lighted the test pen).

Any comments on this system wiring? Thank you.
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #2
aikona
South Africa

Forget the test pen and use a proper digital meter

Eric
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #3
TPS Reports
United States

Grab a Fluke meter or something similar with an actual AC/DC selector. Test pens should only be used to test if something is "hot" or not (usually 120/240 AC, etc.)
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #4
rsdoran
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPS Reports
Grab a Fluke meter or something similar with an actual AC/DC selector. Test pens should only be used to test if something is "hot" or not (usually 120/240 AC, etc.)
I do not trust these things so only believe them when they show hot. The reason they may "light" on DC is because there is some form of AC riding on the DC, this could happen if the DC common is connected to ground or errouneously combined with the neutral of a single phase ckt, there could be other reasons too.

As suggested, when you obtain a power reading when you think you should not then use a voltage meter to get more precise reasons. If still unsure may want to use an oscilloscope and check for AC on the DC ckt.
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #5
ckchew666
Malaysia

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I'll check it with the multimeter.

One of my colleague told me that DC high amp, it'll lighted up the test pen (HOT). I taught it was true.
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #6
JvdV
Netherlands

Wink

Some test pens react on magnetic fields as well.

Nice to test if solenoid valves without indicators are powered. As far for testing / indicating life circuits..........it was nice knowing you, I will start ordering some flowers
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #7
ckchew666
Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvdV
Some test pens react on magnetic fields as well.

Nice to test if solenoid valves without indicators are powered. As far for testing / indicating life circuits..........it was nice knowing you, I will start ordering some flowers
sorry, there is no valve, basically are all pilot lamp/indicators only.

"it was nice knowing you, I will start ordering some flowers " What do you mean by this? I don't get it
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #8
JvdV
Netherlands

High currents produce a magnetic field als well (all currents produce a magnetic field, but big currents produce significant currents)

The flowers part, in the netherlands it's custom to send some flowers to a friends funeral. And sinds yuo work with a .........you get the idea I think.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #9
tscoffee115
Antigua and Barbuda

Hi there, Would a new one like me be welcome here?
Thanks so much in deed.

calcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt ********** - Taux emprunt **********. Comparez les offres d’emprunt **********, simulation emprunt **********, taux emprunt **********calcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt **********
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #10
leitmotif
United States

Yes you would be welcome

Dan Bentler
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum