You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:29 PM   #1
timbo_uk
United Kingdom

Telemec HMI (XBTGT2120) with micrologix 1000 plc. Anyone done it?

Hi,

I got hold of the software for programming the HMI for free (legit promo from Telemecanique, I had bought their drive software last year.

I have a project up and running on one machine that was written for a micrologix 1000 plc (32 I/O).

I want to repeat this project onto another larger machine which if the operator control is done with switches and indicators would leave me with not enough I/O to use. I would then need to get out of the budget 1000 range plc.

I have been keen to learn to "do" HMI's for a while, but needed a non time-critical project to do it on.

According to spec sheets etc it should work, plus the software looks quite nice too, I have played around with it a little. I have managed to create a few screens that set and respond to integers within the simulated micrologix plc. So it does look promising.

Just wondering if anyone has actually used this mixed combination?

Any tips at all for am HMI newbie? I allready have one thing to think about, try to think what would happen if HMI failed!

Thanks in advance
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:44 AM   #2
mvandyke
United States

We use the XBTGT magelis touch screens with a micrologix 1200.
It works great. We have been doing this as our standard product for
a while without any issues.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM   #3
timbo_uk
United Kingdom

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvandyke
We use the XBTGT magelis touch screens with a micrologix 1200.
It works great. We have been doing this as our standard product for
a while without any issues.
Thanks, happier now
Do the 1200 series use the same 1761-CBL-PM02 programming cable?
How did you interface the plc to the HMI? Do you just use one of the above cables on between, or do you need adaptors?

I did email rockwell support and got this back:

"The XBTGT Hardware / Vijeo Designer software is capable of being configured to communicate via DF1 protocol to various Rockwell PLC, including the Micro Logics 1000 (Channel 0).

You mention you have the software. I would recommend you create a project.

A wizard will guide you through the set-up.

Once you come to select the protocol select Rockwell Automation, then hit the help key you will then be presented with a table listing the possible communications hardware / protocol options.
You can then click on the hyper link for Allen-Bradley DF1 full duplex. You will be presented with a PDF detailing DF protocol and associated cabling.

According to the PDF for Rockwell DF1 we would recommend cable diagram is shown on page 12 of 32.

This cable connects to Com.1 of XBTGT2 series it is DF1 protocol over Rs232.

That means point to point connection, maximum cable length 50ft (15M).

Regards,

Jamie Coates

Product Application Support"

But I am confused here, I have uploaded a copy of the page mentioned.

Does this make sense to you?

Have you any simple projects for a QVGA HMI I could look at (not copy!) for ideas and best ways of laying out proffessionally?

I hope this is not a little cheeky!

Last edited by timbo_uk; August 23rd, 2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added another question :)
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM   #4
timbo_uk
United Kingdom

I am trying to list all bits I need.

128 for the (XBTZG935) programming cable! OMG no wonder they gave the software to me for free!

Cannot decide if I need the Z9730 lead with or without the ZG COM1 adaptor. Why cant they make it clear for you!
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:59 AM   #5
timbo_uk
United Kingdom

Can anyone assist, as Telemec are not helping, all they will commit to is that it uses the DF1 protocol. Not very helpfull. I need to be sure of exactly what I need to sort out costings for a capital application.

Cheers (Hopefully!)
Old September 1st, 2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Jon R
United Kingdom

I would try speaking to your local Telemec automation distributor rather than Telemec. Mine down here in Surrey is fantastic and has even saved me some money by recommending the TeSys range instead of using a circuit breaker, contactor and overload. This saved me about 50 on parts and then the labour to connect all the devices. Unusual to find a company wanting to make less money!

Jon.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:58 AM   #7
timbo_uk
United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice, Ill try that. We also use the TeSys units on our own projects. Bonus is they are nice and quick to swap if there is a problem.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum