Keyence Upload Question...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi again guys,

We recently acquired a labeler that is controlled by a tiny little Keyence PLC. I want to integrate the labeler into an existing machine's PLC, and no longer use the standalone PLC. To make my life easier, I want to upload the program from the Keyence PLC, so I can have a look at it.

Sounds easy enough, but we all know that nothing is ever easy... o_O

I downloaded Keyence's trial version of Ladder Builder, and made a cable to connect to the PLC (thanks to WireGuy1950's post!). When I try to upload the program, I get this error:

KVError.jpg

I'm pretty sure the cable I made is wired right. Put it this way, when I tried swapping RX and TX, I got a communication error, not the "Can't read this program" error, so it appears that the software IS seeing the PLC, but just can't read the program. By the way, I am using a 'real' serial port. This is how I wired the cable:

KeyenceCable.jpg

Note that the pin numbers on the RJ12 connector are different than WireGuy1950's drawing. I found out from THIS PDF that Keyence reverses their pin numbering from standard numbering... :rolleyes:

The PLC is a Keyence KV16-DT (Visual KV Series), and the trial software I have is version 1.5. As far as I know, the trial software is fully functional, but just limited to 50 uses. I have the serial port settings in Ladder Builder set to "AUTO", but have also tried manually selecting all the different baud rates as well.

Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't upload the program from this PLC?... :confused:

šŸ»

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I have never used one of these, except seen it during some product demo by the sales guy.

I may be wrong, I guess you need a different software for visual range of Keyence PLC, KV Builder instead of 'Ladder Builder'

Regards
_______

The Keyence website is poorly laid out, but as far as I can tell, the software I downloaded is supposed to program ALL the KV PLCs.

Notice that on THIS page (which HAS a picture of the Visual KV Series PLCs), there is a link to Download the latest demo version of the "Ladder Builder Software", which is what I downloaded.

Also, the brochure specifically for the Visual KV Series lists "KV Ladder Builder" as the programming software

šŸ»

-Eric

Update...

I found a neat program called "Backup Tool for Keyence PLC" (LINK), which is designed to backup and restore the PLC program without the use of KV Ladder Builder (great idea!).

With this program, I was able to 'backup' the program, which proves that my cable is good. The Backup Tool created a .COD file. I assume this is some sort of compiled version of the program?

KV Ladder Builder will only open .LDR files, although it does create .COD files when you compile the program.

So, now that I have a .COD file of the program, I need a way to convert this to a printout of the program.

I've attached the .COD file. If hoping that one of our resident Keyence users could possibly:
  1. Use the Backup Tool to download the .COD file to a 'spare' PLC
  2. Upload the program with their KV Ladder Builder
  3. Post or email me the Keyence files (.LDR, etc.), or even just a PDF (or whatever) of the ladder printout.
Any takers?... šŸ¤žšŸ»

šŸ»

-Eric

Last edited:
I hope Eric has found work around in the past two years ;)

But for others and Khalid that are reading this thread.... the cable pin out is correct

Not sure about the rest of the thread, but I am using Ladder Builder software and the above mention pinout works on the KV series that I have used/tried

Yeah GiT, this thread is quite old... :sleep:

Sorry Khalid, no solution. My 'workaround' was to just not use that labeler!... (y)

šŸ»

-Eric

Khalid,

I've attached the cable configuration for Keyence PLC. I think that cable configuration posted earlier is different. If you can send me your e-mail address, i can send you a the old Ladder Builder Software but can be used for both VKV (Visual KV) and KV (no display)Series. It exceeded the 375kb limit (file size is less than 2Mb)for attachment so I cannot attach it here in this forum.

Best regards,

Beckz

Keyence

I have tried with the said cable. But results are the same. The error message is "Can't Read This Program Transferred failed". I was able to take a backup with the Backup tool.
I think there may be some kind of memory protection. any one having good experience with Keyence may help.

Regards,
Khalid Rafique