Communication snag with a SLC 5/04 from storage

Earl29

We purchased a 1998 Minster press that has sat in storage for several years. After replacing the dead PLC battery the fault (FLT) light started flashing. Using the serial port I started RSLINX with the DF1 driver. Autoconfigure was successful and the 5/04 appears on the Whos active screen as expected. I start RSLOGIX and try to download the Minster program and get the message "No response from processor at selected path/node." Is my driver not configured right? What shall I try on Monday morning?

Earl29 said:
We purchased a 1998 Minster press that has sat in storage for several years. After replacing the dead PLC battery the fault (FLT) light started flashing. Using the serial port I started RSLINX with the DF1 driver. Autoconfigure was successful and the 5/04 appears on the Whos active screen as expected. I start RSLOGIX and try to download the Minster program and get the message "No response from processor at selected path/node." Is my driver not configured right? What shall I try on Monday morning?

The path stored in the backup , is probably different than the path on your laptop.
First, use System Comms to browse to the PLC then click download, but before that, click on the Apply To Project checkbox to update your laptop and the app to the new path

system_comms.jpg

Last edited:
Earl29 said:
We purchased a 1998 Minster press...
Wow, are they still in business? One of my first jobs was retrofitting a 1938 model from them with a servo system to index material through the press. Talk about a stout piece of a equipment.

curlyandshemp has you on the right track, I just really didn't realize they were still around

That was a strong piece of equipment. It was in use daily until two years ago when it jammed for about the 1000th time, only this time the connecting rod was straight up and down so there was no reversing the motor to unjam it.

We tried and tried, but we finally had to send her to press heavan (scrap yard)

Minister makes great press's, their support is also top notch.

TW, Next time you get one stuck on the bottom, I'll take it off your hands!

It needed more than just to be unjammed. It was 65 years old! The frame showed signs of stress, the bushings up top were almost worn down to the castings...

Bring your truck down, think there are a few more sitting in a field, but they aren't Minsters. Mostly Bliss

I checked Apply to Project and Download under System Comms but get a Diangostics failed ox4 error message.

When choosing download from the main screen of RSLOGIX I get the familiar "No response...at path/node" plus Init Driver failed:-1
"Current driver (AB_KT-1) may not be running"

Should I be running AB_KT-1? By the way our other Minster press, also a 30 ton 1999 uses the AB-DF1 driver with no issues.
Thanks for any help

Which driver you're using depends on which channel you're trying to use.

If you're trying to use serial, you'll need the DF1.

If you're trying to use DH+, you'll need KT.

Earl29 said:
I checked Apply to Project and Download under System Comms but get a Diangostics failed ox4 error message.

When choosing download from the main screen of RSLOGIX I get the familiar "No response...at path/node" plus Init Driver failed:-1
"Current driver (AB_KT-1) may not be running"

Should I be running AB_KT-1? By the way our other Minster press, also a 30 ton 1999 uses the AB-DF1 driver with no issues.
Thanks for any help

Sounds like the default path to the project is looking for the DH+ driver, not the DF1 .

From the System Comms, find the path to the SLC via the DF1 driver

I went to System Comms, it shows the DF1-1 driver and SLC 5/04 in the tree, I select it, hit download and still get the "Diangostics failed ox4" error message. The keyswitch is in REM and FLT still flashing.
What next?

Earl29 said:
I went to System Comms, it shows the DF1-1 driver and SLC 5/04 in the tree, I select it, hit download and still get the "Diangostics failed ox4" error message. The keyswitch is in REM and FLT still flashing.
What next?

Before downloading, trying going online with the PLC using an filename such as TEST. The fault has to be cleared before a download can occur.