ABB Drives control word

pauly

Has any body any experience of ABB ACS800 drives and fieldbus control? I have looked at the diagram in the manual (attached)and there doesn't seem to be a single start/stop bit but a convoluted combination of a number of bits 0 to bit 3.Any ideas?

ABBStateDiaagram.JPG

This is the way we've done it. We still have the odd hiccup getting all drives back on-line after an EStop, but otherwise it's fine. We're using ControlLogix and SST's profibus interface.
We keep the following bits on all the time:
CW1 - OFF2
CW4 - Ramp out zero
CW5 - Ramp Hold
CW6 - Ramp in zero
CW10 - Remote command

CW2 - OFF3 is always on except for EStop

We check for SW0 - Ready on and Status DI1 (configured for hard-wired EStop) before enabling start.

To start we turn on CW0 - Ready to operate
after a 1 second delay we turn on CW3 - Operation enabled
We then check for SW2 - Ready Ref before sending a speed reference.

On stopping, we ramp down to zero speed, wait 1 second and then turn off CW3 and after a further 1 second turn off CW0.

We have experimented with pulsing CW1 off for 2 sec when resetting from an EStop to try and overcome the hiccup I mentioned - i.e. CW2 comes on before CW1 when EStop is reset.
Results are inconclusive.

Last edited:
What I like to do with drives is to wire the start contacts through one of the drive's normally closed relay outputs, and then control that relay through Modbus. Activating the relay turns the drive off, deactivating turns the drive on. That way, I can have the drive default to a running condition if the communication is lost, and on the ABB drives you can have the reference follow Constant Speed 7 upon a loss of communication. You can then set Constant Speed 7 to whatever value you want for a fallback.

This might also help to solve the E-stop problem.

kittydog42 said:
This might also help to solve the E-stop problem.

You can supply 24V= outside the drive via diode. Fieldbus adapter keeps alive when main voltage is off.
Ps. What fieldbus you are using 'pauly', I have exp. only with Profibus DP?

Pauly, what we do is to write an integer value that represents the bit pattern to the drive control word.

1142 = drive coast to stop
1151 = drive start

There are some other values that will ramp the drive down based off the de-acceleration you've set.

I've got some info I'll be happy to e-mail you tommorow when I get back to work.

pauly said:
Gerry, when you say you ramp to zero speed do you mean the reference is driven to zero?
Yes.
The drives get their speed reference over the profibus network.
These are section drives on tissue rewinders. The speeds are controlled by function block routines to ramp up & down and to control web tension between sections.