You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #1
kdcui
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

RSLogix 5K - ONS vs OSR?

I'm trying to determine the difference in functionality of the One-Shot (ONS) vs the One-Shot Rising (OSR) instruction in RSLogix5k.

When I set up both in a test program, they seems to achieve the same result, ONS taking up only one rung where OSR will require two. See attached image.

The instuctions are described as the following:

Quote:
ONS
Structured text does not have an OTU instruction, but you can achieve the same results using an IF…THEN construct.

IF BOOL_expression AND NOT storage_bit THEN

<statement>;

END_IF;

When enabled and the storage bit is cleared, the ONS instruction enables the remainder of the rung. When disabled or when the storage bit is set, the ONS instruction disables the remainder of the rung.

You typically precede the ONS instruction with an input instruction because you scan the ONS instruction when it is enabled and when it is disabled for it to operate correctly. Once the ONS instruction is enabled, the rung-condition-in must go clear or the storage bit must be cleared for the ONS instruction to be enabled again.
Quote:
OSR
When enabled and the storage bit is cleared, the OSR instruction sets the output bit. When enabled and the storage bit is set or when disabled, the OSR instruction clears the output bit.
There is more but I'm sure I don't need to paste it all. I can understand the OSR pretty easily, but I find the logic on the ONS confusing, especially when it seems to function similarly to OSR.

Can anyone explain? Thanks!

Old December 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #2
bernie_carlton
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

The 'one rung' versus 'two rungs' is an 'apples to oranges' comparison. A more valid one is your rung 0 without the OTL instruction to rung number 1. Both produce a bit (test10 and test14 respectively) which will be on for one scan.

The ONS instruction is more compact if the one-shot effect is needed for that rung only (to set a latch in your example).

Both are similar if the needed effect is to produce the one-scan on bit and use the same number of bits. They're just in different positions on the rung.

www.thePLCguy.com
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #3
kdcui
United States

Thanks for the reply.

In the example the OTL on Rung 0 does not output to Rung 1, they are different bits. I was manually toggling the test bit on Rung 0 and seeing if that would affect the OTL on that rung in the same way as the OSR on 1 was affecting the OTL on Rung 2; basically Rung 0 and Rungs 1-2 are separate form one another. Sorry, it was a quick and sloppy routine I threw toegether to play around with.

So besides being on different positions on the rung, how would they be used differently? I guess I am wondering if there are any situatations where I would want the one over the other?

Sorry if this might seem like an overly basic question, but I'm pretty new PLC programming.

Thanks again.
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #4
bernie_carlton
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

It's really just a matter of programming preference. Just remember the effect of each instruction.

I'm thinking that the presence of two instructions with virtually the same effect comes from the various previous type processors (the PLC2/5 family and the SLC/Micrologix family) and the ways they provided this function.

The ONS instruction is the more intuitive to me. The part of the rung after this instruction will be true only on the rising edge of the logic before this instruction.

The OSR instruction is just a box and, except for the name, doesn't give as visually obvious clue as to its effect - the second bit of this instruction will be true only on the rising edge of the logic into this box.

If a continuation of the one-shot output is not needed beyond the current rung then the ONS is the more obvious choice. It can be used, as in your rung 0 example, to do something immediately (set a Latch). But that 'rising edge on' logic output is not available past this rung. To make it so you need to add a bit which then makes it functionally equivalent to the OSR.

I standardized on the OSR just for continutity.

www.thePLCguy.com
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #5
kdcui
United States

That makes much more sense now. Thanks!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum