Using Sequencers

jasonc

I have an application that is controlling traffic lights using sequencers and a timer. Problem is, I don't want the timer to start timing and the sequencers going through their steps until a crosswalk sign is pressed or a crossing car activates a sensor. In otherwords, I want some outputs to be energized before the sequencer ever starts. What's the best way to do this?

Here is the ladder logic:

traffic_sqo2.jpg

Yes!!!

Thank-you very much for your help, much appreciated.

Curious though, I tried a similiar thing not by using MOV but energizing the outputs directly (OTE) but once the sequencer started, the outputs went all wonky (not following the outputs as layed out in the sequencer file). Doesn't seem to be this problem using MOV. I am using the LogixPro PLC simulator BTW.

OTEs can't be used because when the PLC scans an OTE rung and the inputs are false, it sets the output to 0. When your SQO rung was scanned, the output may be turned back on. The vice versa is true also, if an OTE turns an output on, the SQO could turn it back off within the same scan. The result is what you witnessed, outputs are turning on and off in a rapid-fire manner.

The MOV only works in this situation since it is only executed when the SQO is not executed and vice versa. If the MOV and the SQO were both executed in the same scan, you would see the same results as described above.