Cant connect to micrologix 1500

Goody

A company wants me to alter some code on their AB setup
I have never used this software - so they have lent me the company laptop with the rslogix 500 software already installed and a LRP 24 BWA plc to play with.

The leads i have are - 1, 1761-CBL SER C 2, a usb to serial adaptor and 3, AB usb to DH485 interface convertor.

whichever configuration I use, I cannot connect to the plc

I open a new project, select the plc and try connect.

This laptop was used by the company to program these plc's and all of the plcs are connected by ethernet and rsview scada.

Can you give me some clues as to what driver to use maybe how i connect these leads - I have tried all-ways so need your help ty

I'm still getting the cobwebs out of my head, but I understand the frustration of trying to connect to a new device - espaecially if it is AB. I have not used a USB to serial adaptor, so I'm not sure about the COM setting. Do a search for the 1761-CBL SER C2 cable and see if it is intended for DF1 or RS232. If so I would use that to connect. Try using that USB adapter with that cable and then, in RSLinx, try using the DF1/RS232 driver.

Electrically_Bound said:
Do a search for the 1761-CBL SER C2 cable...
I think the cable part number is incomplete. I'm guessing it is either a 1761-CBL-PM02 SER C or 1761-CBL-HM02 SER C.

and see if it is intended for DF1 or RS232
This is a very confusing topic. RS232 is a specification for the physical hardware. DF1 is a protocol specification. So for example, the default communications on a 1500 is RS232 AND DF1. Not either or.

This is easily confused, especially when you get into RS485, the physical specification, and DH485, the communications protocol, and the fact that you can DH485 over RS232 but you can't directly connect directly connect two DH485 devices if one is on RS232 hardware and one is on RS485 hardware...

Thanks for your help - but i'm still not getting through.

I get to the configure button and it tests all the baud rates then says
failed to find baud and parity
And no matter what I swap/test/try thats all I get ??????

any other suggestions, it is seriously doing my box in lol

If they are all on the Ethernet then you should go that way... forget the cable.

The cable you need is a 1761-CBL-PM02 for direct connect... the HM02 is for HMI or PLC to PLC not PC

I get to the configure button and it tests all the baud rates then says failed to find baud and parity And no matter what I swap/test/try thats all I get ??????

just for reference, not all USB-to-serial adapters will do the "auto-configure" trick ... Keyspan brand usually will - most others won't ...

do you already have an offline file that you can open? ... if so, check the Channel configuration in that file ... note that it MIGHT have been changed - but there's a good chance that the settings are still the same ...

if you can determine the setttings this way, then manually set the configuration in RSLinx to match ... specifically, don't trust the "autoconfigure" button to work through a USB adapter ...

good luck ... I feel your pain ...

The cable you need is a 1761-CBL-PM02 for direct connect...

Thats the one I have (+ the usb to dh485 - which i'm not using)

I have checked ports and it tries to connect.

I'v watched the video, read the tuts kindy supplied by you and all goes well until I want auto configure aaaaarrrrghhhh

This is ridiculous, I need to get familiar with the program and cant even get in.

Try the ethernet channel if they are connected to a switch.

Just make sure the laptop is set up with an address on the same subnet, plug it into the switch, and configure a driver for it in rslinx.

I am not sure whhether you'll want an ethernet/IP driver or "ethernet device" in RSLinx. I think either would work, but unfamiliar with that particular micro...

Despair not, brother.

There as many wrong variations as there are drivers, configuration fields, COM ports, and cables. Let's just try the one that works.

FIRST: You're going to use the 1761-CBL-PM02. Not a homemade one, not an equivalent, not some other A-B part number. These cables have been used with MicroLogix controllers since 1996. They always work. Be glad you own one.

SECOND: You're going to use the "DCOMM" button. Get a pen or a toothpick, reach in there, and press it gently for about 2 seconds until the DCOMM LED on the controller comes on. This absolutely guarantees that the Channel 0 serial port (the round one) is set for 19200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no handshaking, CRC error checking.

THIRD: You're going to set up your DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx for 19200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no handshaking, CRC error checking. Change the Device Type to "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView". Change the COM port to the COM port being used by your general-purpose USB/RS232 converter. Use the Windows Control Panel to be certain of this COMx assignment; many USB/RS232 converters will enumerate as a different COMx port depending on which USB port they're plugged into.

FOURTH: In RSLinx, select Communications -> RSWho. Select the DF-1 driver, and check Autobrowse.

If this doesn't display the controller in the browse, there are two possibilities:

1. Your USB/RS232 converter is not at the COMx port you think it is, or the USB/RS232 converter is broken, disabled, shorted, blown, or overheated.

2. Your controller is broken, disabled, shorted, blown, or overheated.

There are no other variables, no other considerations, no other possibilities. The MicroLogix 1500 DCOMM feature works 100% of the time on functional controllers, and the RSLinx DF1 driver works 100% of the time when set for the SLC/Micro configuration and used with a functional serial port.

The Autoconfigure feature works on maybe half of the USB/RS232 converters I have used. I've lost or given away a half-dozen of them and only use the Keyspan HS19 now.

OkiePC,
He has a ML1500 no ethernet port.

Goody, If you have the ML1500 LRP as stated in your first post , then try the other port. The one on the side. You will need a 9 pin to 9pin null modem cable

thank you guys - I'm afraid it will have to wait while tomorrow now, its late here in UK and boy is my head throbbing :) :)

Time for a beer and forget all about plc's.

One day i'll be an AB man too :)

Goody,

If you open the door on the LRP there is a comms
reset which sets the the unit back to the default setting. DF1 Full Duplex I think.

Use the PM02 cable
Then open Logix, Channel Configuration, Channel 0
Set to DF1 Full Duplex, 19200, None

I am pretty sure these are the defaults but you may want to do a search.

John