Little help please

rablwo

We are having a reoccurring issue between our PLC5 processors and our HMIs. 3 times in the last five days we have lost communication from the HMI to several PLC5 processors. This is happening in two of our control rooms. The network itself appears to be fine with no other issues. For example, from the pulpit HMI, I can use two command windows and continuously ping a workstation and a PLC in the same control room. The PC will respond 100% to the pings while the PLC5 will drop 30% of the request.

While searching for a solution, I found this error message in the driver diagnostic file for RSLinx:

Datestamp 192.168.26.5 Error receiving data from the Ethernet Interface

Datestamp 192.168.26.5 [10054] Connection reset by peer

This message repeats for each of the PLCs the driver is configured for. Approximately an hour later, We receive:

Datestamp 192.168.26.5 Initiated a new connection

After this, all the processors will communicate as they should. Any help yall could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rab

I was having a similar problem with an early generation 5/40E. I upgraded the firmware and the problems stopped.

dang it

I appreciate the response. The delay happened again this morning... I'd hate to have to do a firmware upgrade on all PLCs. That would take a quite a bit of downtime to accomplish. You know we have been using this basic setup for 6 years and never had a problem then all of the sudden BAM!

Can any body shed some light on the RSLinx error message? Doing a google search on RSlinx and 10054 doesn't get me very far.

If this system has been running for the last 6 years without issue, then one would have to ask "what changed". Start there.

Oakley is write. For us it was adding a set of message instructions vie e-net. The upgrade is painfull. It requires changing a set of EPROMs.

[10054] Connection has been reset by peer

That's a Windows "Winsock" TCP/IP socket error message that RSLinx is reporting to you in its log. It's not RSLinx specific.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819124

That doesn't really help you determine what's wrong, it just lets you know that the PLC-5E communications interface intentionally closed the connection to the RSLinx system, probably because of some packet loss that made it want to start over again.

The PLC-5E can be configured to have a Channel Diagnostics data file that will store some of the information from the Ethernet interface on the controller and could be accessed using DH+ or DF1 (or even over Ethernet when things are good). You might have a bad plug, or a bad transciever.

If the Ethernet switch into which the PLC-5E is plugged has diagnostic features, you might get some information from them.

The PLC-5 itself, and its firmware, are close to the last place to look for the reason for a communications failure on a system that has been running reliably this long.