You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old November 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #1
ryanweber101
United States

1756-IF16 Single-Ended Current App wiring

I am trying to spec out some PLC modules for an upcoming project. Our vendor suggested we use a 1756-IF16 analog input module for connecting to Raytek optical pyrometers ( output options of 4-20 ma, 0-20ma, 0 to 5 volts), returned to the analog input module with thermocouple wiring. I am a bit confused by the terms Single-Ended and Differential Current Application. I am much more familiar with the 1756-IF6I styled models, and I believe (maybe incorrectly) that this module would work for our app. To me it seems as though the single and differential current setup requires the power source to be the same through all of the sensors. The rayteks are typically supplied with an external 24Volt power supply, but their input can range from 12 to 24 volts DC. I read something somewhere about the voltage difference between the IN-0 and i RTN-0 being roughly 15volts. Ideally I would like to use the 1756-If16 single-ended current application but I do not know if this is possible or how to wire it. Any help or guidance to the appropiate resources would be greatly appreciated as the AB manuals haven't been of any help to me.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Contr_Conn
United States

Quote:
I am a bit confused by the terms Single-Ended and Differential Current Application. I am much more familiar with the 1756-IF6I styled models, and I believe (maybe incorrectly) that this module would work for our app.
I am not going to tell you if it will work in your application or not, but I will try to explain:
IF6I is isolated module, each channel is optically isolated for other channels.
IF16 does not have isolation between channels, they all referenced to the same RTN wire
In single ended mode return wires for each channel connected to RTN
In differential mode return signals connected to odd inputs and input used in pairs - this will compensate for noise and allows greater distances, but as result you have 8 channels instead of 16.
Quote:
Ideally I would like to use the 1756-If16 single-ended current application but I do not know if this is possible or how to wire it.
See publication 1756-UM009 for details
for single ended current mode you will connect ALL iRTN and RTN terminals and this will be your return wire. Technically you will have jumper on the right side ot the RTB.
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #3
ryanweber101
United States

Thanks so much; you explained better than any of the other online resources did.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum