You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old November 17th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Scott-bc
Canada

Simulator for Siemens Step 7 Micro/Win??

Do you know if there is a software simulator for the Siemens Step 7 PLC code application? I have an application where I have programmed some code using internal "M" bits as my I/O. I want soemthing I could run and have it communicate with my WinCC application. The only way we do it now is to get an actual S7-200 controller, download the code then test it. Anyway of bypassing the PLC hardware for testing? Of course this would be preliminary testing only and the final code downloaded into the PLC for final testing.

Thanks.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #2
bkottaras
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-bc
Do you know if there is a software simulator for the Siemens Step 7 PLC code application? I have an application where I have programmed some code using internal "M" bits as my I/O. I want soemthing I could run and have it communicate with my WinCC application. The only way we do it now is to get an actual S7-200 controller, download the code then test it. Anyway of bypassing the PLC hardware for testing? Of course this would be preliminary testing only and the final code downloaded into the PLC for final testing.

Thanks.
If you have the step7 Pro version the PLC Simulator comes with.
If not, I assume you can purchase an upgrade for only the Simulator.
Not sure about the 200 series but I remember seeing on the internet a simulator for free.
I believe "canal" something .
Do a search for S7-200 PLC simulator an look for it.
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #3
PeterW
Canada

S7-200 do not run on Step 7 code, its MicroWin (although there are rumours that a new version is coming).

Step 7 professional is for S7-300 and S7-400 PLC's, so the fact that you are testing code on a S7-200 tells me that is MicroWin you are using and not Step 7.

I do not believe there is a simulation for S7-200, I maybe wrong though.
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Sparkz
Belgium

Yes, there is a sim for the S7-200 series.

Check here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/archive...p/t-14658.html
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Scott-bc
Canada

Actually the S7-200 series do run on the Step 7 code. When I look at my program as I write this it says on top STEP 7 - Micro/WIN. This is what I am using.
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Ken M
Scotland

Scott-bc and PeterW

You are both exactly right. The S7-200 does run STEP7 and doesn't run STEP7. How does it manage this? You've just entered the magic world of marketing where anything is possible.

Siemens decided that all their PLCs would be called S7-something. There are three families: the S7-200, S7-300 and the S7-400. And the software to program them would be called STEP7-something.

Now in practice the S7-200 has as little in common with the S7-300 and S7-400 as a competitor's PLC. It might as well have been designed by a totally different company. Ooops, it was. It was actually designed by Texas Instruments around the time Siemens bought TI.

And the S7-200 programmming software, Micro/Win, is equally different to the S7-300 and S7-400 software, SIMATIC Manager. But of course the marketing guys insist that it has to fit in the family so they called them STEP7-Micro/Win and STEP7 SIMATIC Manager respectively.

Experienced hands around these parts tend to refer to the S7-300 and S7-400 software only as STEP7 (or sometimes something worse!), and refer to the S7-200 software as Micro/Win. Hence the confusion etc.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum