Allen Bradley SLC 5/03 Flashing FLT

jimmycooker

Hi,

I just bought an allen bradley 1747 10 slot rack, PSU, CPU, input & output modules.

I also bought one of these to connect my a usb port on my windows XP laptop to the serial connector on the processor:

http://www.plccables.com/allen-bradley-usb-1747-CP3.html

I configured a DH-1 driver, managed to configure the correct com port and rslinx automatcially configured the baud rate (to 1200 i think).

When unconnected the processor FLT & DH485 lights are flashing. When I have the SLC 03 shown on the laptop graphical representation the rs232 light starts flashing as well.

Can anyone tell me what is causing the FLT led to flash red?

Thanks,
James, (PLC newbie).

to see & clear the fault, open rs500 & go online with the processor. The drill-down that usually says online/offline/program will say fault. Choose this & select 'go to fault'.

Hi Stasis,

When I open RS 500 it won't let me go online, I don't have it in front of me now but I think it was forcing me to give it a node address of -1 which seemed strange, RS 500 didn't seem to respond the same way RS linx did...

I read that you shouldn't let it auto configure the baud rate, that the it should be set to 19200, could this be the problem? I did try it at that baud rate but to no avail...

The 1200 baud, the flashing FLT, and that you have just got the CPU and has never been online with it, sounds as if the CPU memory is empty.

Simply create a new program in RSLogix 500. Carefully setup the rack and i/o configuration to match the actual rack and i/o. Then download this to the CPU, and you can then go online.

If you are succesful so far, you can change the channel 0 baudrate from the slow 1200 to the more useful 19200 baud.

should still be able to go online regardless of whether or not a program is loaded.

it will just show DEFAULT for the processor name.

Hi James,

Welcome fellow Rebel to this forum. First things first, when you set up the driver in RSLinx was the SLC5/03 visible in the RSWho window and without a red x thru' it. If not then forget about RSLogix 500 because if RSLinx can't see it nothing else will.

Not familiar with the driver you are using as my PC has a serial port, but if given the option I would always select Auto Configure as this will advise if your comms setup has been sucessful or not. Obviously you must be connected to the PLC to do this.

I'm local if you need any help just drop me a private message.

Hi T,

I think the cable I am using is essentially a USB serial port. I have configured the driver and I can connect to the plc using rslinx just fine using auto configure and choosing the same comm port as the USB serial port uses (found by looking in device manager in windows).

I can see the node 0 (laptop) and node 1 (SLC 03) in rslinx, the slc has a flashing surround (blue or red i can't remember) which i'm assuming corresponds with the intermittent fault light on the CPU itself.

When I goto RS 500 i cannot bring up comms or RSwho and it seems to have configured the driver with a node address of –1 (I don’t think it would give me any other option, I think I should be able to go up to 31 but it told me to pick between 1 & -1 and –1 was the only one it would let me assign if that means anything to you.

I have tried shorting the VBB / earth to clear the CPU and the flt light is still flashing.

Let me know if you have any ideas, maybe it’s a faulty CPU, don’t think there is a memory chip in the card either would that have anything to do with it?

Off to the match now, cheers!!

Hi James,

Luky sod to have a ticket, hopefully result will be same as '78. Anyway not unusual to have a fault light on a new processor, as one of the other contributors suggested this may be because no program present.

Can't say I've ever seen a blue box around a device in RSLinx RSWho window, usually just the devices connected and if there is a problem a red X thru' the device. It should show up in this window with the name 'Default' if no program present in processor.

If you can see in RSLinx then you should be able to either clear the fault or download a program in RSLogix 500.

Whereabouts in Langer Land are you located??????

When the CPU memory is cleared but not faulty, the FLT will flash.
A faulty CPU is normally indicated with a solid FLT or combinations of the other lamps.
If you look in RSWho, the CPU name is probably "DEFAULT" as Shadrach said, this also hints at that the CPU is empty.

So, go ahead and make a program that matches the hardware configuration, download it, and from then on you can go online, for online programming for example.

An EPROM is recommended for storing the program.

NB. It does not make much sense to try and go online with the CPU as long as it is empty.

Thanks for your responses (Tgoulding / JesperMP)

I just assumed there was something wrong when I couldn't clear the fault light, I didn't realise I had to downlaod a program to the CPU to accomplish this, i'm totally new to setting up / programming PLC's so please excuse my ignorance!!

I will see if I can create a program tonight and try and load it onto the PLC. I reckon if I can fumble my way through to a point where I can get a contactor to open and close i'll pick up the rest handy enough!!

Great game last night T, what an atmosphere, shame they pipped us at the post but they put up a great fight...

I live in Frankfield Cork, from Clonakilty originally, whereabouts are you? Do you work as an automation engineer around Cork???

Hi James,

What a game, on my knees for most of it with tension, would have loved to be there for the atmosphere it really came across on TV.

Any way yes I've been working for myself for last few years as an Automation Engineer in the Munster area, so far so good. I'm originally a city boy but now living in the sticks in Carrigaline, so not far away, just over the hill.

Again if you need help or want to contact me send a private message and I will send on contact details.

Thanks a million, are you contracting or employing, might be onto you in a few months for a job!!!

Would you know of a good online training course / book / guide that would get me started with the basics?