You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM   #1
vkolluru
United States

FactoryTalk View ME/SE .APA vs .MER

I understand the .apa file is a application archive file and .mer is a runtime file and I even know how to make them.

I can create them as well as restore an application from both formats using application manager.

Then what are the pros/cons of creating an apa AND mer files.
Can we just keep making some .mer files and forget about the .apa feature.

Seeking some good insight. Thanks in advance.

-Vikram
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM   #2
mgvol
United States

The .mer file is the compiled runtime file that is actually loaded into the PanelView Plus. The .APA is the archived back-up; since you cannot uncomplie a .mer file and edit it, it is a good idea to keep a back-up of the entire project file (.APA).
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM   #3
vkolluru
United States

This may have been a feature missing in previous versions, but with FactoryTalk View ME (RSView ME 5.0), user can restore the whole application using a .mer file and do whatever changes he/she wants to do and create a new .mer/.apa rename, backup etc etc

Thats why I questioned what is the use of .apa after the latest version.
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM   #4
504bloke
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
England

I am on V5 FT and last time i converted a mer at a customers to do some edits not everything converted, from memory the things that messed up were the comms.

Dave

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM   #5
kamenges
United States

That sounds right. The comm set-up is not part of the .mer file so you won't get that back. I also thought there was something with either alarms or recipes that didn't come back quite right either but I may be off on that one.

Keith
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:24 PM   #6
504bloke
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenges View Post
That sounds right. The comm set-up is not part of the .mer file so you won't get that back. I also thought there was something with either alarms or recipes that didn't come back quite right either but I may be off on that one.

Keith
Alarms rings a bell...

Dave

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Mrgumbo
United States

I believe if you tried to "extract" and rebuild a .MED file from a .MER file with earlier versions of RS View, you would lose the alarms and the comm settings. I feel it's good practice and really not too much trouble to save a .APA file with the latest version. Kind of like leaving a spare key under the mat when you have locked yourself out, so to speak. I am fighting a situation now where I wished the previous programmer had left the .apa files, or at least put in a "goto configure screen" button. It would make changing the IP adresses much easier.
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #8
vkolluru
United States

Mrgumbo,
Which version of FTView or RSView do you have? If you have the latest, then, you may use the transfer utility to delete the existing app on the Panelview, reboot the Panelview and you will get to the IP addres setting.

If you do wish to modify the app to include this config button, then FTView studio does give you the option to save it in earlier versions.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #9
lendyck
Canada

I've attached a PDF that lists the limitations of trying to "uncompile" an MER file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Recovering a Project from MER File.pdf (27.5 KB, 448 views)
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #10
pandersen
United States

As it says in the first post, .mer files are for runtime and .apa files are for archives. Stick with what each is supposed to do. Rockwell wouldn't create two file types if they served the same purpose (I hope! )

I usually keep the latest runtime and incremental backups of the apa files.
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #11
realolman
United States

Any particular reason why Rockwell could not make software that would COMPLETELY restore a project ?....

Or would that take too much time away from making sure you cant activate it on more than one computer?... no wait... that doesn't work either.

Last edited by realolman; May 10th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #12
bernie_carlton
United States

Think of things needed in a development package - history of revisions for one - which would not be needed in the current runtime. The runtime should be just large enough to hold what is needed to run. The extra storage in a display just to hold information the runtime doesn't need would add unneeded costs. If you fear loosing the source then protect it. If you are a customer demand the source as part of a project. Then protect it for the valuable thing it is with multiple backups and proper revision control.

www.thePLCguy.com
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum