Siemens S7 Licence

As far as I am aware a S7 licence cannot be backed up, I take it you mean so that you can have a copy of the licence to save you buying another one.

But I think you will find that S7 will run quite happily without the authorisation installed, it will just remind you that the authorisation needs installing everytime you do something within the program. (as I found out when I accidently wiped my S7 authorisation while installing the S5 authorisation)

S7 Authors

My S7 won't run without the authorization. It trys to launch and then quits.

Are you trying to run two copies with one authorization? If you are and are on a network it can be done. If you are on seperate machines no go. Regardless, you are supposed to have an authorization for each running copy.

Lenny

I am using simatic manager version 5.1 without authorisation on a stand alone PG720. When I start Simatic manager it searches for authorisation, asks for the authorisation to be installed, I just click on OK and the program quite happily starts.

Paul

Paul

I'm using the same S7 version but it is on a PC desktop running W2K pro. the PG720 perhaps is the differance. Same thing happens on my laptop in NT 4.0.

From my point of view all this authorization and protection stuff on the part of PLC software suppliers is a bit short sighted anyhow. I mean, if a new client comes to me looking for a PLC I am more likely to send him to PLC direct or Control MicroSystems just because he won't need to spend $3k or so on software. If I were a PLC manufacture I couldn't give the software away fast enough. Heck I'd want everyone to have the software so they would by the hardware. As a practical matter anyone who wants to baypass the authorizations or protections can. It just take some creativity and a willings to break the law. For those of us that make our living programming we have to own the legal stuff.

Enough rant.....
Thanks for the feedback
Lenny

Lenny,

I am not sure what is going on with your computers. But Step 7 starting with version 5- runs without an authors. It does bring up a nagging message- but it does run.

JRW

YES, illegaly

Yes you can create a copy of your license, but be warned it's illegal.
as you can create multiple license's first you need two things.

1) you need a sector copying tool like norton disk edit
2) you need a very small partition of your harddisk say about 4 MB

:mad:
now here is what you do:
Install your license on the small partition, create a sector backup of this partition.
move the license back on the original disk.
move the license from the disk back on your system where Step 7 runs.
(you should have a working step 7 version by now)

then write the sector copy back on the small partition and then move the recreated license back to your license disk. you should have 2 license's now.

Caution. norton disk editor is very capable of destroying your Harddisk

And take care not to make to many license's.

the other option you have, (but that's not a backup) if your license would be corrupted in any way, use your Fax to reclaim a new license from siemens.

:eek:

Two answers:

1. The Siemens authorisation (be it S7 or S5) CAN be copied, even in a much simpler way than noyb describes. But, because it is illegal, I will not explain how.

2. You can run Step 7 without authorisation, but with certain limitations. You are only able to program S7-300's, not S7-400's. It is impossible to integrate options, such as simulation, graph, SFC and so on. In fact, without authorisation, the package is limited to a so-called mini-version. I had no problems to run in this way on Compaq PC's with W95 or NT4. And believe me, we have had problem running tech soft on Compaq. They're the best for office soft, but they suck for tech soft.

Personally its not necessary to goto all those lenghts to have a backup disk copy of the license. If the software is registered to you then call Siemens support and they will walk you thru resetting the disk. I have 2 laptops, one old, one new with authorization on both but the NEW laptop isnt really active used with plc's/siemens. I also have the disk ready in case of failure, I did this thru Siemens support.

If the software is licensed to you/your company they will assist you with resetting the authoriazation disk...may have ta fudge a little.

Authorisations CRacked !!

Hi,

We have the authorisationdisk from siemens, but it is limited to 3 installations. Well, we found a solution, but: It's illegal, so be carefull with the information.

I found a little tool that can install as much authors as you want. After you used the tool you will see in Authorsw that there are new authorisations installed. Really, that simple !!

How to get it,

well, you can ask me or you can uwe edonkey,

greetz,

combo

I agree with Lenny that it is short sighted to restrict programming software. However, I think you should e real careful about providing details on how to break the law on a public forum, for ethical and pragmatic reasons! My atitude is, if they want to be a$$holes, they have the right.