Building Security System Using PLC

zai_jnr

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here has experience design building security system using PLC? The idea is when somebody want access the door, he/she need to scan his/her thumbprint or access card to reader card.After system recognize the code, then the door can be open.All the data such timing scan IN, timing SCAN OUT and person name who make scanning will log in in PC (maybe using SCADA to keep the history). Anyone can share your experience here? maybe what your card reader model you use? How cardreader controller need to communicate with PLC? I'm plan to use Mitsubishi PLC for this job.Any Idea?...

Mitsubishi, very weak security, use GE Fanuc RX3i or RX71 for best and most secure PLC.

Mitsubishi, very weak security, use GE Fanuc RX3i or RX71 for best and most secure PLC.

ops really!!.. but I'm familiar with Mitsubishi and OMRON PLC.. In this job, plan to use Mitsubishi..but it's ok..thanx for your reply..I'll try make assessment for GE FAnuc RX3i and RX71..
How about the card reader controller? any idea? Now I'm sourcing for ST8000 ProxStation (from Sierra Technology). This unit already have their own software to install in PC for data logging..

Well most plc's have password protection so no real problem there & the simple answer is to put it in a locked cabinet?

There are several card reader/software packages that communicate directly with a PC and provide all the information you are looking for. Why the PLC?

There are several card reader/software packages that communicate directly with a PC and provide all the information you are looking for. Why the PLC?

Why the PLC?? My boss ask me to think one security system using PLC software. Maybe he want me try to think something new that there don't have in market. He want to propose to our customer..This make me headache loooo..:confused: I think better just propose to our customer something that already have in the market..All security system in market such as card scan, biometrik scan or others already come with it controller and sofware to install in PC then can monitor all the record in the log data..

Unless there is a good reason to use a PLC, for example you need it to do other functions as well, then I would stay away from the PLC. There are many very powerful security alarm products on the market that are designed for this and ready to run right out of the box---and cheap too. You can get card readers, proximity scanners, figerprint readers, iris scanners, etc, etc. A complete system probably cheaper than just the cost to purchase a cheap PLC. Many of these security panels have PLC-like programming capabilities built it.

I have succesfully used a plc for quite a big security system. 90 % off the doors have fingerprint readers with the rest of the 10% being turnstiles or doors, where a pushbutton is used to ask access. cameras at every door (both sides). a user would scan his fingerprint, if accepted a relay on fingerprint reader will close giving us a signal. the plc then uses outputs to a camera main fraim to automatically select the camera at the door and display it on big screen in security room. on a scada in the security room a request will be shown that a person wants to enter that door. the operator can then allow the person by using his own finger print reader or deny them. we also used signal lamps at each door to indicate to the person that his request was received (flashing light). then if the light turns green the request was accepted and the lock will open. if it turns red. the sorry to bad.
has been running for 4 years now and still working great. Also i find the remarks about the plc not being safe rubbish. the scada pc has to be the only pc connected to the plc and doesnt need to be on internet or anything, so in what way will the plc be under threat?

I agree - the "vendor X PLC is weak" argument is ridiculous.

As cool as it would be to use a PLC, it makes more sense to purchase a security system - they're specialized and commoditized. You'll get more features and spend less time and money - plus it will be far less prone to user induced mistakes/vulnerabilities.

If you need to integrate it into your SCADA system - list that as a separate requirement when choosing a security system vendor.

As cool as it would be to use a PLC, it makes more sense to purchase a security system - they're specialized and commoditized. You'll get more features and spend less time and money - plus it will be far less prone to user induced mistakes/vulnerabilities.
wise words.

It's going to be a major undertaking to program a security system using PLC. Consider the many task required:

- research and figure out how to interface card readers/cameras to PLC.
- Extra hardware required to translate security equipment to PLC
- and the biggest consideration: maintenance!

The security team usually comes in to put in the system after I'm done so I have seen a lot of newer equipment. The door readers are usually RS485 network and the video camera goes to a DVR/controller. All the new camera system are motion triggered and only records on motion. To program all these function with a PLC is going to be quite a task.

My uncle works for a large state correctional facility and they use slc's and clogix to control all the doors,gates and such.

Redundant processors and network.

New Word Game challenge:

"Using a PLC to control a security system would be like ____? (fill in blank)

examples:
"Using a PLC to control a security system would be like:

re-inventing the wheel?
traveling in a rickshaw instead of a car?
using an axe instead of a chain saw to cut wood?
carrying a knife to a gun fight?
cutting off your nose to spite your face?

the best security system?

using microcontrolers, main and only module located in the security room, wire conected cameras and card or fingerprint readers (shielded with steel plating), wires phisicaly shielded from damage (thick stainless steel pipes in walls etc.), independant power supply or two of them maybe, non standard construction, electrical schemes etc., couple of power sources that are not on the same place ...and of course! not conected to the internet

now that's the security system which u can't beat!!! except maybe with an A-bomb hahaha