You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 12th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #1
Estevon
United States

Parker CTC & Omron Touch Screens

Hello everyone, I have a quick question.

We are builing a system utilizing a compumotor 6K and an Omron PLC. A touchscreen is required for this application. In the past we have used Parker's CTC touchscreen.

Needless to say, I really, really loathe this touchscreen.

Has anyone had any success getting an Omron Touchscreen to interface with any of Parker's compumotor controllers.

IE, can variables be changed in the compumotor program from the Omron touchscreen? I've searched the 'net and can't seem to find any information about this subject.

I'd hate to be stuck with the CTC as this is to be a showcase machine and the CTC is lousy looking, a pain to configure (You need a keyboard for crying out loud) and generally archaic compared to some of Omron's and especially the AB solutions.

Thanks!
Old September 13th, 2003, 02:01 AM   #2
Eric Nelson
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Lightbulb You're not 'stuck' with CTC...

As far as I know, Omron's HMIs are designed to interface ONLY with Omron PLCs. For the same reason why you can't connect a Panelview to anything other than A-B stuff.

I guess they can't comprehend that you might want to use DIFFERENT brand components...

I think you'll need to look at the 'generic' HMIs from places like Maple Systems, etc.

beerchug

-Eric
Old September 13th, 2003, 03:00 AM   #3
Peter Nachtwey
United States

Location: Vancouver, WA, UMSA, United Marxist States of America
The problem is that you are using the wrong motion controller

I know of an motion controller that will communicate with either the CTC or OMRON NS displays using Ethernet. Just do a google search using the key words motion ethenet.

I just got a chance to play with the NS displays and they do look nice and their Ethernet does work well.
Old September 13th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Estevon
United States

Thanks for the info on maple systems, I'll look into it.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with the compumotor. I really don't like them. I think they are really noise prone and troublesome, but alas, that is not my decision to make.

So, unless I can get them to look into the maple systems touch screens, I guess that I really am stuck with a CTC.

Wait. Total Control ( a generic HMI ) is on our spec list, ( though maple is not ) I wonder if they can talk to a compumotor stuff. Worth a try I guess.

Thanks, guys.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum