Panelview & RIO

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to write a HMI program using Panelbuilder32, for a new project, which has SLC 5/03 PLC, with 1747-SN scanner, for communicating with two Flex I/O racks (1794-ASB), and a Panelview 550.

Now the problem is I can't off first base, as when I create a basic Comms setup on the HMI, with a couple of tags on the screen (as a test), then try to "Validate All..", it comes up with
"Error 9075 Tag does not have a valid address in the terminals assigned Discrete Rack or Block Transfer Channels"

This happens even if I try to create the HMI program as laid out in the "Getting Started with PanelBuilder Software" manual.

I am using Panelbuilder32 v.3.80

Can anyone help?🤞🏻

Last edited:
Your Panelview is a remote I/O version (make sure your part number selection in PB32 is correct to confirm this).

What that means, is that you get a certain amount of logical rack space in the RIO table to use for data to and from the panelview. Usually a whole rack of space is not enough for an HMI so you would use block transfers which will allow the panelview and SLC to exchange more data.

So, in the SLC, you will set up block transfer writes to send data to the Panelview, and block transfer reads to read data from the panelview. If you have a new enuough firmware in the Panelview, then you can use the built in BTR and BTW instructions. If your SLC does not support these instructions, then I'd suggest that you upgrade it's firmware, or shoose another method of communication (different panelview part number).

Doing block transfers the hard way in a SLC without the newer instructions is still possible, but it is a big pain in the butt. If you switched to a DH485 panelview, then all of these issues go away.

For RIO, you will need to set aside blocks of addresses to be used exclusively for read addresses, and at least one more block for write data. When you have those addresses defined, you can configure the comms in the PB32 software to use those ranges, and then it will quit barking at you when you validate the app.

There are a lot of threads here on this subject, so you may want to do a search of the forum first.

Again, doing RIO panelviews is a pain, but not impossible, but if you can switch to another method of comms, it will be much much easier. On the bright side, using block transfers with a RIO panelview will force you to keep your addressing organized...:nodi:

Also, I have seen at least one application that did not use block transfers at all. Instead, they used the page control and status values in the discrete range (I:x.n, O:x.n) to switch the data and used only the discrete data space for all of the values on the screens. That added a bunch of code to the PLC, since I:2.7, for example, would have a different meaning depending on which screen you were on. That method is goofy and has some drawbacks, but it does avoid using block transfers.

Last edited:
Thanks. The problem is that I am used to using DH485 communication with the Panelviews, but for this project, I stuck with RIO (never again).

I found out what the problem is. I was getting confused over the Write/Read settings in the PanelView.

I didn't realise that it meant:
Write = PLC -> HMI
Read = HMI -> PLC

And never the twain should meet; i.e. never try to read from a 'Read' register, or write to a 'Write' register in the Panelview program.

Panelbuilder 32 difficulty

Hello Guys,

I am using Panelbuilder 32 very first time. I always use Factory Talk View Studio. We have some old program in Panelbuilder32 and now I need to add some maintained pushbuttons and status indicators.

I already added it and assigned bit address like B15:4/6 to B15:4/12 . When I try to save them or download , It gives me these errors for all new created tags ...... "Error (9075), This tag does not have valid address in the terminals assigned Discrete rack or block transfer channels." I tried to assgned same as Factory talk View Studio software.

i am very new to this field as just graduated. Thank you very much guys

Need help

Please create a new Thread for a new question

MODERATOR REQUEST:

If you have a new question, please create a new Thread for that question.

Go back one level in the Forum to the "LIVE PLC Questions & Answers" page, and use the Start a New Thread button.

newthread.gif

If your question is directly related to an old question, you can link to the old question by copy/pasting the URL of the old thread into your new thread.

Last edited: