Hyperterminal doesn't save session setup properly

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to talk to an ASCII device at 7 bits, odd parity, 1 stop bit (7,O,1) directly over RS-232 using Hyperterminal, not over a Modem.

I can connect when I configure a new session, configuring the default COM parameters to what are needed, but I have been unable to save the session as a file to use it subsequently. When saved, the COM parameters don't save properly, they save as 9600 8,N,1, not 7,O,1.

When I configure Hyperterminal in Windows XP SP3, I configure the COM port for 9600, 7, O, 1 no handshake.

I connect OK using my modified settings, do whatever, 'save as' and name that connection session as an .ht file.

When I disconnect, open that same file, it opens in Hyperterminal as 9600 8,N,1, makes the connection, but the ASCII characters are all bolexed up because the bits and parity are wrong.

From the COM setting window, I've tried
- 'apply' button first, then OK.
- OK
in order to try to 'register' the COM settings.

Both produce the same results - the COM settings are not saved as they have properly worked in a session.

Any suggestions?

Dan

Open Hyperterminal. Name the new connection and choose an icon.
Set parameters. Do a 'save as'. For this example, save it as 'test.h1'. Save it to the desktop.
You will now have an icon on your desktop named 'test'. If you click on this icon, you will have your settings. You could have several Hyperterminal icons, each with their own name and associated settings.
Edit. After a re-read, it appears you've tried that. I was successful with XPpro SP3 on a Dell Dimension. Maybe there's a setting in your registry that's messed up.

Last edited:
It is definitely an auto configure problem - it tells me that it's auto configuring when the connection starts.

Stupid program to not do what it's told to.

7 bits + parity = 8 bits + no parity, but it's unintelligible in ASCII.

Time for another terminal program.

Dan