You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 5th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #1
AJZ
Canada

Connect to a PLC-5/15 and PLC-5/30

I need to make some changes to two systems. One has a PLC-5/15 and the other has a PLC-5/30.
What cables, interface devices, etc. do I need to connect my laptop computer to these old processors? My laptop has a real serial port, USB, PCMCIA.
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Ron Beaufort
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

for the (older/classic) PLC-5/15 you will REQUIRE a DH+ connection ... specifically you can NOT use just a serial-type cable ... note: that handy looking little 9-pin connector on the front will NOT (I repeat NOT) let you use inexpensive RS-232 communications ...

in some cases, it's cheaper to just upgrade the old-style processor than it is to invest in the communication hardware ...

the "text book" answer to your question is:

you need a 1784-PCMK "credit card" for the laptop's PCMCIA port ...

AND ...

a 1784-PCM5 cable to match the PCMK card (be careful with the series A and series B versions - they will NOT interchange) ...

AND ...

a 1784-CP7 adapter ...

do NOT let the supplier talk you into a "modern" 1784-PCM6 cable ... the "good news" is that this one doesn't need the adapter ... the "bad news" is that you won't be able to remove the adapter to plug into the 9-pin port on the front of your classic PLC-5/15 ... specifically, the classic processors don't have the little round 8-pin miniDIN connector featured on the PCM6 cable ...

in the past you could get all of the above listed parts as a kit ... ask for part number 1784-PCMC if it's still available ... the last time I checked (years ago) the price was about US$1,500.00 ...

so ... once you've got the older PLC-5/15 covered (as listed above), you can use the same cable to connect to the new models too ...

or – if you ONLY need to communicate with the new model, then all you really need is a simple RS-232 cable ... 9-pin-female on one end to a 25-pin male on the other end ... the official part number is 1784-CP10 but you can build your own if you like ... we'll look up the pinout if you're interested ...

possible exception: sometimes the processor's RS-232 port has been reconfigured for use as a "barcode reader" port or something along those lines ... if so, you'll have a hard time trying to program through it ... let us know if that's your problem ...

2-B ?
Best regards, ----+----] [----+------------( )----
Ron | |
PLC Training Boot Camp | 2-B |
+----]/[----+

I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Last edited by Ron Beaufort; March 5th, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #3
AJZ
Canada

Thanks, Ron

My AB supplier quoted a
1784U2DHP USB to DH+ interface to replace the
1784-PCMK or 1784-PCMC. The cable and adapter are still good partnumbers. Total price is $2295 Canadian.

Old March 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Mickey
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJZ View Post
Thanks, Ron

My AB supplier quoted a
1784U2DHP USB to DH+ interface to replace the
1784-PCMK or 1784-PCMC. The cable and adapter are still good partnumbers. Total price is $2295 Canadian.

See picture below from the 1784-U2DHP manual. Double check this with your AB supplier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable.jpg (42.9 KB, 156 views)

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb

Last edited by Mickey; March 5th, 2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Mickey
United States

And here is the manual

http://literature.rockwellautomation...n045_-en-p.pdf

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Paul B
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Beaufort View Post
in some cases, it's cheaper to just upgrade the old-style processor than it is to invest in the communication hardware ...
I second Ron on this - it is the route I took when encountering a 5/15. I have the PCMK card but the customer did not. It was cheaper to change the processor than buy the PCMK card.
"And if you wanna hear God laugh, tell Him your plans."
Van Zant "Help Somebody"
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Ron Beaufort
United States

I just did a quick search for "PLC-5" on E-Bay and found a lot of options ...

here's one that caught my eye based on what you've posted so far ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-ALLEN-BRADL...item588663dce9

current bid is about $99.00 ... or "buy it now" for about $199.00 ...

also notice that most of the PLC-5/15 processors are going for about $50.00 each ...

disclosure/disclaimer: I have ZERO connection with - or knowledge of - the seller linked above ... this is for example only ...

incidentally, in most cases you should be able to just "download" the existing PLC-5/15 program to any larger/newer PLC-5/XX processor ...

please let us know how this project works out for you ... this is a fairly common question on the forum ...

2-B ?
Best regards, ----+----] [----+------------( )----
Ron | |
PLC Training Boot Camp | 2-B |
+----]/[----+

I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum