VFD Ross Hill 11500 HP partial Migration to AB

felmed

Hi Fellows,
Now this is really interesting, someone ask me about if we could partial migrate the VFD ansaldo ross hill in the attached picture, wich one make the control of the 11500 HP cell. The system they are thinking is one Allen-Bradley. Now I don´t really know if maybe we can make this kind of partial migration because this kind of medium voltage cells comes with propietary systems and programs. I attached info about this system, if you can get the manuals will awesome since I haven´t can find it. I attached the diagram of the Refrigeration system that they want to change the PLC too and I really dont understand how will be the ladder program for this application.

IMG_1718.jpg MODULE VFD2.jpg

Attachments

• PLANO SISTEMA REFRIGERACION VFDS.pdf
    151.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DATA SHEET VFD-1.zip
    340.5 KB · Views: 22
Tried zooming in on your schematics but unable to read the writing. Also much more information on the migration would be needed. Vfd's are usually controlled communication or by a reference voltage with an analog output card. On the VFD schematics you should have a couple of analog inputs use an analog output card froma PLC to set the reference voltage. Voltage will depend on the acceptable VFD inputs. 4-20 will be most likely.

The want to change the Cuttler-Hammer PLC of the cell wich one control the refrigeration system -schematic attached I´ll try to better the image-, and they want to migrate the VFD -IM_1778- to an AB but I think that this is very troubling task because when I seen it the VFD it has fiber outputs, not for communication else as DO. What information do we need to try this procedure. If you have some info about VFD I really aprecciate because definitely this is not my area but I would like learn and make this project succesfully.

What would motivate such a huge cost, especially if the existing VFD is working? We are talking $100's of thousands of dollars.

Is not running the existing system until it shows signs of failure or high maintenance an option?

I'm accustomed to questions like this at 50 or even 300hp but 11,500!!!

Only the revision cost is 25 thousands dollars-ony revision-, its a very sensitive system with old technollogy that has completed its technologic cicle. We want change the VFD in order to not change the completelly cell, becuase this will be so much more expensive. Someone has Medium Voltage Variable Frecuency Drive Books or Manuals? This will be very usefull