General 840D questions

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Downloaded some manuals but not finding anything.
My work as recieved an 840D training rack.

I went to start it up and it has a few errors.
1) the 840D HMI advanced (OP 012) has alarm 120202 wait for connection to NC/PLC

There is no actual PLC in the rack, I have been told that the logic is in the 840D.

I attempted to use a regular MPI cable to upload the current program but couldn't get a connection.

The 7 segment display on the 840D shows a 6, I was told this is a good thing.

I have a call into our siemens REP and have been reading thru manuals from the site, but I am lost.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to start?

Is it a standard 840D, or is it one that uses Transline 2000 software (Ford,GM powertrain stuff). You said it was a trainer, do you know who built it.

I may be able to help a little, but have to look some stuff up. Question about Transline 2000 versus standard is because they use different software.

I don't believe it used transline.
I have very little information on it so far.

The latest thing I tried was to upload the program from the 840D but when I plug my MPI cable into the MPI I don't get any indicator lights on the cable like I would on a siemens 300.

There is a CF card inside of it, I figured if I hit the reset it may pull the program off of it but no luck.

A standards usb/mpi cable should work with this machine, right?

You may be able to load an archive to clear everything up.

There may be archives for the NC, the PLC, or both. If you find one that has contains an archive for the NC and the PLC you should be able to proceed.

Press the MACHINE key, then the MENU SELECT key, then find the SERVICES menu. Press it, then you will look for a Series Start-up soft key. Press this key. You may have to press another button it if appears (Read startup archive).

Press the ARCHIVE softkey to display a list of those on the machine. There may be several, there may be many. Highlight one (the bigger ones if there are many may be combined archive files), press start, and follow the instructions. The NC may reset several times during the process.

If you don't have an archive file you'll probably have to find one. Do you have an attached CD drive or floppy drive? Any CD's or floppy's full of software?

The card actually contains software that the ncu kernel boots from but it has a limited amount of space to backup files.

There should be a copy of your plc and nc archives on the pcmcia card in the ncu card, it is underneath the wider ribbon cable.

The MPI port or OPI(profibus) port can be used to connect to the plc, but if you are getting a 120202 fault the plc memory has probably been cleared.

The information to restore a series startup archive is in the manual but you need to perform a specific chain of events with the rotary switches on the ncu card before reloading.

What are you using to connect to the PLC? The USB cable will not work with the 840D as it does not have power available on the D shell for the adapter.

Tim, as for backups or cds I could not find anything. I tried the steps you stated above and was able to restore something. Nothing said plc or nc. I think it said cycle. After r restoring the file nothing changed still no connection.

Mattclark, thanks for the info I,ll try to find the info on restoring the system in themanual.

Mike_RH I tried the usb cable and a rs232 cable with with a usb to serial adapter. Neither setup worked. I will try to dig up an old pc that still has a serial port and give that a whirl

Tanks for all the info guys. Currently I am inserting a s7 317 processor to get my trianing up and running.

Sorry for any typos sent from my phone.
-joel

I'm not at work tomorrow I'll try to post what cable(s) to use there are 2 or 3 different one's they sell that will work. If this is a newer ncu box the tools to do a restore should be loaded onto the pcu unit which is usually attached to the back of the hmi, if it is an older version which uses a mmc 100.2 hmi you would need an external pc, you would have to have a pci pg interface card and could use a serial cable with the right software. simatic s7 w/ sinumerik toolbox. I can email you a write up on the switch settings and steps to perform a restore and backup.

the usb to ppi cable is what I think i use but you can use a serial cable to a pg/pc card but the interface needs to configure in the software as to where you are connecting(opi or mpi)

Thanks again for all the info.

A write up would be great if you have one laying around.
I don't believe I have a pci pg interface cable. I have the usb to MPI cable for the 300 series seiemens.

Also it sounds like I'll need to find some software. I don't currently have the Sinumerick tool box.

I'll talk to my siemens rep tomorrow.

does this control have a pcu box or is it the older style?If it is the newer style with the pcu the sinumerik toolbox should be allready installed on the hard drive and you would not need to purchase software.

Just remembered I took a picture of it.

It is a sinumeric PCU 50 1.2ghz 512mb ram WinXP Pro embeded.

http://support.automation.siemens.c....csinfo&lang=en&objID=10805533&subtype=133300
is link to manual page 41 and on talk about the functions to reset plc and nc.pg 53 passwords needed.pg229 for backup/restore

follow the purple cable from the x101 plug on the ncu card top left it should goto the mcp and the hmi(mmc). If the mmc does not have a pcu attached to it your going to need to get ahold of siemens to get you the correct software.

you need to determine which ncu control you actually have because this will determine which software/hardware you can use.

i'll email you some info on hmi embedded for the pcu tomorrow do you have email?. you should be able to get windows if you hold the #3 button when the taskbar appears in the bottom corner after the sinumerik splash screen. you would then need to search for the plc.arc and nc.arc files. they will probably be in the directory c:\mmc2\ibn\dh .

I need to look at my notes dont quote me off the top of my head.