You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 21st, 2011, 11:27 PM   #1
alz
Singapore

Module_Defined data types..

Hi,

I'm having problems in exporting/importing Module-Defined data types created in another rslogix5k project. Unlike the UDT there's no option to copy the specific module-defined data type i.e. the cut,copy & paste are greyed out when you right click on them. I would wish to know if this not the correct way or how do you export these module-defined data types so that I can import them also in a new project?

Thanks in advance.

Alz
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:39 AM   #2
nightline
Netherlands

I've looked in one off my programs, and with a right click I can copy, cut & paste.
Are you working online? I've tried this off-line, as far as I know you can't do anything in an UDT online.

Jack
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:38 AM   #3
alz
Singapore

Thanks nightline, but i am talking about "Module_Defined" data type (MDT) not UDT. Say, we have a RSLogix5K project file which I have exported to *.L5K so I supposed i have done a complete export of that entire project which includes the UDT & MDT & so on but when I tried to import that *.L5K file into another project i noticed the UDT & MDT data files are incomplete an some of the routines can't be exported from that project an error will occur for example:

"Error: Line 117: Error creating 'Tag' (Module defined data type could not be found.).
RSLogix5000Content/Controller/Tags/Tag[@Name="DriveSMCO"]
Import failed - 1 error(s)"

I read other threads I understood about UDT problems but not Module-Defined tags, I wonder why there's no thread about this anywhere in the web maybe I have done something wrong.Forgive my innocence still a novice in this system.

I hope someone can help me on this problem. ....
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:29 AM   #4
nightline
Netherlands

I'm sorry, I've to read twice the next time...
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:21 AM   #5
MarkNightingale
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Alz

Module defined data types cannot be copy and pasted, neither can they be imported or exported.

These data types are generated automatically by RS5000 when a module is inserted into the I/O tree.

Mark
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #6
alz
Singapore

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. If this is the case then I won't be able to import the subroutines files that uses the tags in that particular module which were created in another RSlogix5K project unless I install the modules (i.e AB Powerflex drives)in the I/O tree just to generate the Module defined data and re-import the subroutines files, isn't it right? this would be difficult for me because I don't have the actual module and I need to create another project similar to the other to save it on the disk and send it to the customer. Any other advise to get arround this Mark?

alz
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #7
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz View Post
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. If this is the case then I won't be able to import the subroutines files that uses the tags in that particular module which were created in another RSlogix5K project unless I install the modules (i.e AB Powerflex drives)in the I/O tree just to generate the Module defined data and re-import the subroutines files, isn't it right? this would be difficult for me because I don't have the actual module and I need to create another project similar to the other to save it on the disk and send it to the customer. Any other advise to get arround this Mark?

alz
You don't need the actual module to put it into the i/o tree.

And the simplest way to put the right module in, is to copy/paste it from the other project that has it.
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem

Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum