You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 17th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #1
dginbuffalo
United States

FactoryTalk View offline tag file??

First go with a PV+ here. I've followed the instruction to "offline tag browsing". i added a device shortcut and pointed to an offline .acd file. I can see the PLC and i can see the offline tags-problem is, the names show up but the columns for the description are blank. Just wondering why it wouldn't be displaying the tag descriptions-any idea? thanks.
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I don't know why there's a column for "Descriptions" at all; RSLinx Enterprise has never shown anything in that column, and I've used it since the beginning.

I think it's a feature that the development team planned to use years ago and they never took it out of the basic Tag Browser display.
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #3
dginbuffalo
United States

A few more questions-- I can't see the individual outputs for module 2 in the tag browser either? i have a 16 channel output card-but the tag browser doesn't give me 16 points to select from?

Maybe i'm going about this all wrong. What's the best way to create a project on the bench and assign tags from a .ACD file? i can't even create a runtime file and send it anymore since i created the device shorcut and offline file.
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Ken Roach
United States

You've identified another shortcoming of the FTView Tag Browser; it doesn't allow you to "browse" directly to a Bit of a DINT/INT/SINT tag. There is no "bit picker" like there is in the RSLogix 5000 tag database browser.

You can browse right to a BOOL Tag, but to address a ".BIT" of an integer type tag you have to choose the main Tag and manually type in ".xx" for the Bit number.

Some folks prefer to save the RSLogix 5000 file as a *.L5K then import it wholesale and create a big HMI Tag Database. I prefer to use the offline tag browse just as you're doing.

Generally I create both a Development and a Runtime communications path for the Shortcut when I'm defining communications. Even if you have to create them manually, you need to create them so that the Runtime builder knows there's a valid communications setup.

What sort of errors or failures are preventing you from compiling a *.MER file ?
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #5
dginbuffalo
United States

Well- i decided just to delete the shortcut to the offline file and when i go to create a runtime file, i immediately get a pop up that says "inable to save tag database" when i hit ok i get another one that says "unable to save project blah,blah,blah.mer" Looks like i did it now!!
Old March 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #6
marcwand
Australia

I am no FactoryTalk View expert by any means, but I often run into buggy problems when running FactoryTalk View and other associated PLC software.

True, you will not see the 'bits' of an associated output or input card... but I have found that you can select the base card that you want to use, then manually type in the bit ".0" or ".4" or whatever bit you wanted to use into the connection you wanted to display. Seems to work for me.

Also, with the unable to save tag database error when creating a runtime program, I have found that a reboot of the laptop fixes that problem.

I haven't been using this software forever, but I have been since version 3... and it has always been particularly buggy.. especially with its RSLinx Enterprise / RSLinx Classic relationship... can be painful at times.
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #7
dginbuffalo
United States

Right on the money with the reboot laptop fix!! This forums a great help-thanks.
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #8
dginbuffalo
United States

Question- when i address a bit level input, would i write {::[Toro]Local:1:I.01}?? It comes up like this normally- {::[Toro]Local:1:I.Data}
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
bernie_carlton
United States

Yes, you'll have to add the "dot number" manually

eg {::[Toro]Local:1:I.Data} -> {::[Toro]Local:1:I.Data.01}

Of course if there's an alias to this bit position then refer to it instead of the direct address.

www.thePLCguy.com
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #10
dginbuffalo
United States

Jumped back into the PLC tag file and looked at the structure-exactly as you say. Thank you very much!
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Mark_H
United States

This had me pulling my hair out.

The tag in RS View to a ML 1400 to see i:0/18 good old input 18. {::[RS]I:1/2}

The tag browser would never give you a clue. Well not that I could see.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum