Crimson 3 Emulator

octoleeber

Lifetime Supporting Member
When I try to run the emulator and hit update I get a message a driver must be installed.When I try to install the driver it says it is unable to install.Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution?Thanks

The problem is not Windows 7, but the 64 bit thing.

I'm still having the same problem with my machine (Windows 7, 64-bit).
Has this problem not been fixed yet, or was it already answered in another thread or forum?

Last edited:
Having the same trouble. I tried running Crimson in my Virtual PC 32 bit shell and the emulator works fine there. Just a pain to have to do that. I might experiment around with compatibility modes in the normal 64 bit OS to see if I can't get it to work.

Yes the problem is that WinPCAP which is required to run the emulator doesn't support the 64bit OS.

Thanks
Jeremy

When I installed Wireshark for my Win7 64 bit box at work, I noticed it used a version of WinPCAP too. After the install of Wireshark and WinPCAP for Win 7 64 bit, I had hoped that perhaps it would allow the emulator to work, but no such luck. Crimson still wants to try (and fail) to install a driver when I attempted to run the emulator. I wonder if there's a workaround to this? Perhaps a registry edit to let Crimson think the correct version is installed?

According to this website, version 4.1.2 is compatible with "Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/Win7/2008R2 (x86 and x64)".

Can we expect a release of Crimson to include a 64 bit emulator any time soon?

Last edited:
OkiePC
I have done some more checking on this subject and it looks like WinPCAP may not be the only reason the emulator doesn't run. It is on our list of things to look into but I can't say when that might be.

Thanks
Jeremy

OkiePC
I have done some more checking on this subject and it looks like WinPCAP may not be the only reason the emulator doesn't run. It is on our list of things to look into but I can't say when that might be.

Thanks
Jeremy

Just checking to see if any headway had been made in resolving this problem with the emulator on Windows 7 64 bit.

I think your only choice is to use XP Mode or your favorite form of virtualization.

I think I was successful in a HyperV virtual machine (WinXP 32 bit), but had trouble with communications. The emulator would run, but HyperV was confused about what to do with comms and I didn't succeed with any other software "talking" through my real PC LAN card...This I believe is a HyperV/my IT issue, and I plan to bug them (IT) for a WinXP license so I can try the trusty VMWare system next.

Last week when I emailed tech support to tell them that the emulator was flaky in 502, I also inquired about the emulator and 64 bit, and I was told that they don't yet have any time line for it.