You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!


 
 
plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.
 
Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!


Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Sean Wing
Member
United States

Sean Wing is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1
Powerflex 700 Need Help

Hello, I work at a small family owned hardwood lumber mill in Elkins, WV. We use a Powerflex 700 AC Drive 200 HP for our bandmill. This morning our bandmill wouldn't start, so our maintenance man went into the electrical room, turned off the main switch for the bandmill. Then turned it back on. After just a few seconds, a loud bang came from our Powerflex 700 unit. We opened it up, and found the part that blew. It is SP-193092-A01, and its description is "ASSY,PCB,RA,INVERTER SNUB" We contacted Allen-Bradley and were told when that part blows usually the whole unit is damaged. They quoted us $12,250 to replace it, and $9,420 to repair it. That is a very huge cost for us right now that we don't have the money for. Can any of you confirm that we will probably need to incur these costs to fix/replace the unit. The part sells for $19.95 at PLC hardware, but they say it is unavailable. Also, would it be possible to find a used Powerflex 700 unit anywhere? Any help you guys can give is MUCH appreciated. Thank you

Sean Wing

Last edited by Sean Wing; August 3rd, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM   #2
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

OkiePC is online now
 
OkiePC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ENE of Nowhere Oklahoma
Posts: 9,447
http://literature.rockwellautomation...%20-%20English
__________________
It's not all the variables I am most concerned with, it's the undiscovered constants.
  Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #3
leitmotif
Member
United States

leitmotif is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle Wa. USA
Posts: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Wing View Post
Hello, I work at a small family owned hardwood lumber mill in Elkins, WV. We use a Powerflex 700 AC Drive 200 HP for our bandmill. This morning our bandmill wouldn't start, so our maintenance man went into the electrical room, turned off the main switch for the bandmill. Then turned it back on. After just a few seconds, a loud bang came from our Powerflex 700 unit. We opened it up, and found the part that blew. It is SP-193092-A01, and its description is "ASSY,PCB,RA,INVERTER SNUB" We contacted Allen-Bradley and were told when that part blows usually the whole unit is damaged. They quoted us $12,250 to replace it, and $9,420 to repair it. That is a very huge cost for us right now that we don't have the money for. Can any of you confirm that we will probably need to incur these costs to fix/replace the unit. The part sells for $19.95 at PLC hardware, but they say it is unavailable. Also, would it be possible to find a used Powerflex 700 unit anywhere? Any help you guys can give is MUCH appreciated. Thank you Sean Wing
The VFD does two good things for you
1. Gives you a soft start and ramp to speed
2. Gives you variable speed control

Soft start is a good thing and ramping a band type head rig is a good thing in my mind so you need that.

DO you really need variable speed control on the band saw? I think it could come in right handy but that is your decision based on your needs and wants.

Dan Bentler
  Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #4
pct_jimmy
Member
United States

pct_jimmy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Shady Spring, WV
Posts: 59
I work for a pretty large sawmill in Princeton, WV and our bandmills use to have VFD's on them. In the past few years we have switched them over to soft starters and have found them much more reliable and cost effective. I recommend a Saftronics or Benshaw. The Benshaws are a little cheaper, we bought our Benshaw from West Electric in Morgantown.
You can also contact Performance Drives in Bluefield, WV. They usually keep a stock of AB drives and may be able to get the parts for you at a decent price:
http://www.perdrives.com/Home.php
Bob Rolen is the salesman I deal with if you want to contact them.
__________________
Jim Jones

Last edited by pct_jimmy; August 4th, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #5
allscott
Member
Canada

allscott is offline
 
allscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,330
I second Benshaw as a good alternative for a soft start. If you need speed control I am afraid you are going to need to shell out for a drive. You may be able to find a less expensive replacement than the AB but not much for a drive that size.

It happens but drives don't generally just blow up for no reason. You should review the entire electrical installation before powering up another drive or the next one could go bang as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
gaboy
Member
United States

gaboy is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 6
If you have to change it out go with Yaskawa. You will be glad you did. Yaskawa is an all around better bet.
  Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #7
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

OkiePC is online now
 
OkiePC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ENE of Nowhere Oklahoma
Posts: 9,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboy View Post
If you have to change it out go with Yaskawa. You will be glad you did. Yaskawa is an all around better bet.
Yaskawa?

I have about ten of them for the past four years and I know absolutely nothing about them. I did have to open the panel once to troubleshoot one after a motor let out the magic smoke. Sure enough, the drive was showing us ground fault, and survived just fine.

We use A/B as a standard, but only because most of our drives are on DeviceNet, and the money has already been spent and the config and programming done.

If I had a wide open choice, Yaskawa and ABB would be at the top of the list based on my limited experiences. I like the relative user friendliness of the PF70/700, its comms options, and they have been quite reliable for us too. The PF4/40s are no better than anybody else's drives in my opinion.

Definitely something else is wrong external to the drive for it to fail, so follow allscots advice and check everything you can think of before starting back up. Run a meggar test on the whole motor power circuit at the very least (with the drive disconnected from the leads).
__________________
It's not all the variables I am most concerned with, it's the undiscovered constants.
  Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #8
allscott
Member
Canada

allscott is offline
 
allscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePC View Post
Yaskawa?

I have about ten of them for the past four years and I know absolutely nothing about them. I did have to open the panel once to troubleshoot one after a motor let out the magic smoke. Sure enough, the drive was showing us ground fault, and survived just fine.

We use A/B as a standard, but only because most of our drives are on DeviceNet, and the money has already been spent and the config and programming done.

If I had a wide open choice, Yaskawa and ABB would be at the top of the list based on my limited experiences. I like the relative user friendliness of the PF70/700, its comms options, and they have been quite reliable for us too. The PF4/40s are no better than anybody else's drives in my opinion.

Definitely something else is wrong external to the drive for it to fail, so follow allscots advice and check everything you can think of before starting back up. Run a meggar test on the whole motor power circuit at the very least (with the drive disconnected from the leads).
I second ABB, Yaskawa must be good too as I have worked in a couple of plants that had them and never had to touch one. I have never been overly impressed with any of the pflex drives from a reliability standpoint, they are extremely easy to program though and as you said lots of comm options.

We use Parker SSD exclusively. Very reliable and flexible. There is a learning curve with them. With their block programming capability you can do a lot of things inside the drive that might require a PLC or relay logic to acomplish with other drives.
  Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #9
JeffKiper
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

JeffKiper is offline
 
JeffKiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,153
Parker SSD, ABB, Yaskawa, Toshiba, then Baldor (only because we had a bunch of them), those are my choices.
Once you get up in that range the price climb as well.

I have had the PF family, 70, 700 of drives fail 4 to 1 to an old 1336. one of the RA reps told me the power section on the PF family is marginal at best. he also stated that 90% of you failures are in that section.
__________________
There should be a minimum IQ before people can breed.

FS Eng (TÜV Rheinland, #11004/15, Machinery)
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Communicating to a Powerflex 700 via Drive Executive Software SCRUFF LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 5 May 8th, 2014 08:37 AM
PowerFlex 700 Position Indexer drawson LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 2 April 21st, 2008 08:07 PM
PowerFlex 700 and PowerFlex 700S skhara LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 1 April 17th, 2007 12:43 PM
Using AB Powerflex 700 with MODBUS?? RPax LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 4 March 6th, 2007 03:05 AM
Powerflex 700 Problems over Controlnet johnglancy LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 5 November 1st, 2006 07:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.


.