OT: Convert STP to DWG

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to add a file to a panel layout in Autocad. The file is in .stp format and is a model of a powerflex70 drive. I have already tried downloading and installing AutoCad Inventor Fusion but after an hour download, an hour install, and a reboot, the software crashes every time I try to use it to open the file.

So, if someone has software that can open step files (.stp) and save them as a dwg or dxf for me I would greatly appreciate it.

The file is too big for the forum (even zipped), so I guess I am looking for a volunteer willing to accept it via email or go pick it up from the a/b site for me.

If you go here:
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/en/e-tools/drawings.html
And plug in this part number:
20AD2P1A0AYNNNC0
You will get to a page which lists the supporting docs, one of which is the 3D model (stp) file.

Thanks,
Paul

EDIT: I just found this site:
https://www.babel3d.com/
Now waiting to see if it succeeds. EDIT: well, the site claimed success, but when i import the 3mb file into Autocad, I can't seem to "see" any of it...

Last edited:
Paul, Solidworks used to offer a free "viewer".
Can't remember if it will actually save in dwg format but the download wasn't huge, it was more of a tool for CAD users.
Check it out if you get a chance.

Thanks, but I finally just used the 2-d models they offered and customizing the views to fit in with the rest of the drawing being made from 3-d objects. The 2d drawings have the flange mounting option shown even though I am not using it so I had to mess around with that more than I wanted to.

I have a free viewer from Solidworks eDrawings 2009, but it did not recognize the stp file type.

Sorry I'm a little late to the game here, but I was able to make the conversion. I had to first convert the STP to IGES in my 3D software (Solid Edge), then insert the IGES into a DWG using AutoCAD Mechanical. The file is about 2.6mb zipped, let me know if you want me to email it.

Yes, when I converted it, the file bloats up to 12,732 KB. zipped
(Too big to attach)
Like kolyur says, let me know if you want an Email.
When I want 3D, I usually end up taking the outlines from AB and extruding my own.

John,

Much appreciated! Will email a cold one!! 🍺

(Beijer used to have all of their technical drawings available as both dxf & dwg - can't find any now!) o_O

Thanks again,

Rob